Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An attempt to classify the coins minted in Kabul during the Achemenian period  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
Hi :)

I've recently completed this brief catalogue about the coins minted in Kabul valley during the Achaemenian period. It is only a "work in progress" but I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
Matteo.

https://www.academia.edu/34581872/An_attempt_to_classify_the_so-called_Monnaies_dune_espèce_nouvelle_minted_in_Kabul_valley_during_the_Achemenian_period

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Excellent. Thanks for sharing it. I have never had any of these.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
Excellent. Thanks for sharing it. I have never had any of these.

Thanks, Joe Sermarini. These coin are very rare and really interesting.

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
Hello!
This is fascinating. The coin pictured on the title page is from the Sunrise Collection, and it can be seen on page 73 of the book. The book lists it as coming from an "uncertain location" and being unpublished. It matches the style and size criteria of the other coins, so obviously there has been a considerable amount of information discovered about this type since "Numismatic Art of Persia: the Sunrise Collection" was published. Do you know when and how these coins were discovered? Also, could it be possible (since the coins are from Baktria) that the present coins were struck under Bessos, the Baktrian satrap-turned-usurper of Darius III?
Thanks,
TPG

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
Hello!
This is fascinating. The coin pictured on the title page is from the Sunrise Collection, and it can be seen on page 73 of the book. The book lists it as coming from an "uncertain location" and being unpublished. It matches the style and size criteria of the other coins, so obviously there has been a considerable amount of information discovered about this type since "Numismatic Art of Persia: the Sunrise Collection" was published. Do you know when and how these coins were discovered? Also, could it be possible (since the coins are from Baktria) that the present coins were struck under Bessos, the Baktrian satrap-turned-usurper of Darius III?
Thanks,
TPG

Hello :)

Thanks for your interest. That coin is certainly from the Cham Hazouri hoard (discovered in 1933). It is the coin number 36 in the Schlumberg's paper about this amazing hoard (plate IV and not VI as I wrongly write in the catalogue...but the coin number is correct).

You can see three of these plates here: https://www.cemml.colostate.edu/cultural/09476/images/afgh05-106-04.jpg

I don't have the book you cited and I don't know why there is written it is from an uncertain location.

At the moment I'm not able to answer to your question, but I'm slowly working on it :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity