Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New addition: Heraclius Solidus  (Read 846 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
New addition: Heraclius Solidus
« on: September 15, 2017, 11:35:39 pm »
I am very happy to add this coin to my small collection of Byzantine gold coins. Despite the obvious problem with the small portrait on the obverse I am very happy with this coin. I have wanted to add a Carthage solidus for some time and finally found one that spoke to me.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-139848

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: New addition: Heraclius Solidus
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:13:49 am »
These small diameter "globular solidi" sure are interesting, aren't they?  I wanted one for years, and I purchased my first about 3 years ago.  This does seem to be the time to buy.  A disproportionate number have made their way to the market in the last 1-2 years, and the prices have become attractive.  For a long time before that, these seemed quite scarce, even though Sear and the old catalogs prices them lower than I would have expected.  I suspect that this buying window will not last too long.

For me the question is why.  Why would Carthage start producing these small diameter coins during the reigns of Heraclius and Constans II after the long history of producing coins of similar diameter with the Constantinople solidi?  Does it have anything to do with the fact that Heraclius was from Carthage?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity