Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Image of Berytos Price 3419: Auctiones (23 June 1983), Lot 162.  (Read 947 times)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Image of Berytos Price 3419: Auctiones (23 June 1983), Lot 162.
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:55 am »
I am undertaking a die study of the coins of Berytos. So far I have not been able to locate an example of Price 3419.

Price's entry for this type is attached below.

It appears that this type may only be known from the sole example in the Auctiones catalogue entry.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone with access to a copy of the catalogue Auctiones (23 June 1983) and could scan the image of Lot 162 for me.

Alternatively, if anyone can provide an image of the type categorized as Price 3419 that would be equally helpful.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
Re: Image of Berytos Price 3419: Auctiones (23 June 1983), Lot 162.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 12:19:28 am »
Full catalogue reference is Auctiones AG Basel  13 (23 June 1983), Lot 162.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:22:27 am »
Did you already ask at Auctiones themselves?: https://www.auctiones.ch/index.html

Another possibility would be to search for the catalog in libraries, they often have such things and sometimes can provide a scan of some pages.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:02:07 am »
For example the library of the university of Basel has it: https://baselbern.swissbib.ch/Record/121684938

Regards

Altamura

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:52:50 am »
Thanks.  As I understand it, the current Auctiones is a different and unrelated business to the old Auctiones A.G. which I think was a subsidiary of Munzen and Medaillen.

I've tried all the libraries in my home country without success.

Unfortunately, the University of Basel library is too remote from me (16.000 km) to be of direct assistance in copying a single a single lot image, but as a last resort I will contact them if no success elsewhere in getting a scan of lot 162.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
N.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »
...  As I understand it, the current Auctiones is a different and unrelated business to the old Auctiones A.G. ...
You are right, it is a different company  :-\ .

... Unfortunately, the University of Basel library is too remote from me (16.000 km) to be of direct assistance in copying a single a single lot image, ...
My idea was not to go there personally, but perhaps you heard of modern communication means like email  ;) . To ask costs about five minutes of your time and then you will see whether this is a possible solution or not  :) .

Regards

Altamura

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:15 pm »
Hello

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 09:47:07 pm »
Brennos,

Thank you very much.

Coincidentally, this morning I received exactly the same from the ANS Library after inquiring of them as to whether they could scan the same for me.

The scan clarifies and confirms an error in Price’s catalogue/sequence that I had suspected based on my work to date.

Price 3419 of which this coin was the only example cited by Price is really nothing more than another example Price 3420.  

For some reason he misread the mint control beneath the throne as "Theta"I rather than a OI.

The exact same coin (image below) is now in the British Museum and has been since 2002, part of the Hersh Collection bequest, where it is correctly identified as an example of Price 3420 http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=1535682&partId=1&searchText=3420&page=1

I had included this in my catalogue, but its provenance to Auctiones 13 Lot 162 and the type specimen of Price 3419 was apparently lost by the BM in the Hersh bequest.

The corrected provenance now reads London, BM 2002,0101.781; Hersh Coll.; Auctiones 13 (23 Jun. 1983), lot 162; Price 3419 corr.

Its a bit of a mystery as to how Price made this error, as the mint control is correctly described as OI in the Auctiones 13 auction catalogue entry and there can be little confusion in reading it off the coin itself, plus a further two examples from different dies are in the ANS collection to which Price frequently referred in his typology. http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.3420

The upshot of this is that the spurious  "Theta"I mint control can now be eliminated from the Berytos mint control sequence, which makes much more sense in the context of the Berytos catalogue and die sequence I have assembled.

The draft of the die study paper is now completed and will be advanced to the ANS for publication in due course.

Once again thank you for the help.

It proves how invaluable the Forvm discussion board can be in connecting those with a deep interest in the Greek series.

All the best
N.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 10:39:20 am »
good job  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity