Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Brass AE30 29.5mm 15.313g  (Read 954 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Brass AE30 29.5mm 15.313g
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:00:07 am »

Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Brass AE30 29.5mm 15.313g

The consignor identified it as Koinon of Cyprus and that fits but it is not in RPC.

Obv: Laureate head of Antoninus Pius right
Rev: AVT KAI M AVP ANTWNINOC CEB, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust of Marcus Aurelius right

My questions, which I have not been able to answer...

Where is it from?  Cyprus?
References?
If unpublished, references for either die alone?

Thanks for any assistance, Joe
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Brass AE30 29.5mm 15.313g
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:53:03 pm »
Bump.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:20:06 pm »
It seems clear from the legend that the obverse, shown as rev. above, must be Marcus Aurelius. By 161 when he became Augustus Marcus was already wearing a substantial beard, but I suppose it's possible that a short beard, at least, is concealed by the wear on this specimen.

The portrait on the rev., shown as obv. above, doesn't look like Antoninus Pius; more likely Lucius Verus. The rev. legend would probably have named the emperor and the mint, but is unfortunately worn away! Curiously the two dies are of different sizes: larger for Verus, smaller for Marcus.

Searching RPC online for rev. type "Lucius Verus bust" brings three hits:

10851 Hadrianopolis, Thrace, AE 22, 4.90g, both emperors laureate not bare-headed, and Marcus has a slightly different obv. legend; no picture

3517 Callatis, Thrace, AE 23, 8.54g, both emperors again laureate not bare-headed, and Marcus has a slightly different obv. legend

8664 Nicomedia, Bithynia, AE 26, 9.56g, Sear 1703 = BMC 23, both emperors bare-headed, and Marcus has the same legend as on Joe's coin.

The first two coins are too small, and vary slightly in bust type and obv. legend. The third seems to be a possibility, though Joe's coin would be a larger and heavier variant of the ones known so far.

I will send the picture to Volker Heuchert (RPC), in the hope that he can solve the problem!

EDIT: I see Lucius is apparently laureate not bare-headed on Joe's coin, which differentiates it from the known Nicomedia specimens.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:07:46 pm »
Thanks Curtis. I think you have us much closer.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:34:16 pm »
Searching RPC for rev. "Lucius Verus head" (rather than "bust") didn't help further with the ID of your coin, but it did show me the correct attribution for a coin of Marcus and Verus that I had bought in July 2017, but had been unable to identify.

It is from Laodicea in Syria, RPC temp. 9261. IOV for "Julia" is visible before Marcus' neck on my example, but not the key ΛA or ΛAO for Laodicea which should appear before the neck of Verus. Dealer's photos here:
Curtis Clay

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:39:43 pm »
I have five coins of Nicomedia in my photo file with Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus.  Neither are a match to Joe's coin. Please see Rec Gen 113 for the description and legends.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:42:59 pm »
And now that I compare the bottom one to Curtis' coin, I think it's from Laodicea as well.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

All coins are guaranteed for eternity