Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Terra Sigillata Resources and Identification  (Read 2368 times)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Terra Sigillata Resources and Identification
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:15:09 am »
Does anyone have any recommendations for the dating and identification of terra sigillata? I recently acquired a piece (it seems to depict a running/leaping hare), but have no other information on it. I am also interested in general sources I might consult for future reference.

An image of the piece in question is attached, but I don't know anything else about its provenance or manufacture.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Terra Sigillata Resources and Identification
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:25 pm »
Tyler,

If a terra sigillata piece has a stamp on it it can usually be identified.  If it only has the design it is harder to identify.  Sometimes you get lucky and can find the design attributed to a workshop in a book or article.  However, there is no overall catalogue or anything.  There are so many designs that I guess no one has been able to do a master listing.

I have a large collection of terra sigillata.  Luckily for me it is mostly from a single old collection and I know where it is from.  I have been able to find a large book and several journal articles on terra sigillata finds from the same area so in comparing all the designs listed I have been able to identify some of my terra sigillata to the workshop, but many remain as yet unidentified.  But if I did not have the knowledge of provenance I would have had much less luck as I would have been flailing around in the dark.

Yours is even more of a challenge as there is not much of the design there.  I personally can't even see the hare in it but maybe I am just missing it.

That said there are many good article online and you can search some be searing for hare.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:56:09 pm »
Thanks for your help with all of my recent inquiries. I've gotten fairly well versed in coins of late, but I have pretty much no experience dealing with this sort of thing. I'm just acquiring a few different kinds of pieces as an experiment. I really appreciate all of the information you've shared.

Might it be possible to discern the place of manufacture from the style of the motif and coloration of the glaze? Do you have any suggestions for good websites or articles to start with?

I think not being able to see the hare is because of my potato quality photo. I tried again with better lighting and by tilting it. I also traced over it, just in case. In hand, the design is pretty clear, although the glaze is chipped off in places.

I hope to acquire more provenanced and stamped pieces in the future.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:40 pm »
I see it now.  Thank for the re-shoot.

The colouration tells you little as it was basically the same for all terra sigillata / samian ware.  Only the very early and very late tend to have different glaze.

Yes, the design can help, but it is not simple.  In addition to there being no catalogue, most designs were made by stamps that were used to make a mold.  Stamps and molds were shared (sold ??) amongst different workshops and potters so the same motif can be used by several.

I have just moved and am starting to unpack.  I will look up your hare when I get the chance.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity