Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: COTD John III  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
COTD John III
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:50:34 am »

I am sitting here waiting for the hurricane to arrive. Here is my COTD Not as rare but I thought it looked great.

2116 JOHN III DUCAS AE Tetarteron S- 2116 DOC 57

OBV Bust of St. George , beardless and nimbate, wearing tunic ,breastplate, and saigon; holds in r. hand spear, resting over shoulder and in l. shield.

REV Full length figure of emperor wearing stemma , divitision, collar piece, jeweled loros of a simplified type, and saigon; holds in r hand labarum on long shaft, and in l. anexikakia.

Size 20.98

Weight 2.6gm

DOC lists 12 examples with weights from 1.61 gm to 3.00 and sizes 19mm to 21mm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Re: COTD John III
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:49:31 pm »
Hello Simon well i hope the storm didn't make to much havoc, sitting here in quiet little Denmark it hard to imagine moving what makes out half the Danish population.

Well your coin it absolute lovely, especially the patina is just.  :o  +++

Hope you and your family and the rest of your countrymen are save and okay.

Kind regards Kim

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:05:02 pm »

I am sitting here waiting for the hurricane to arrive. Here is my COTD Not as rare but I thought it looked great.

2116 JOHN III DUCAS AE Tetarteron S- 2116 DOC 57

OBV Bust of St. George , beardless and nimbate, wearing tunic ,breastplate, and saigon; holds in r. hand spear, resting over shoulder and in l. shield.

REV Full length figure of emperor wearing stemma , divitision, collar piece, jeweled loros of a simplified type, and saigon; holds in r hand labarum on long shaft, and in l. anexikakia.

Size 20.98

Weight 2.6gm

DOC lists 12 examples with weights from 1.61 gm to 3.00 and sizes 19mm to 21mm

Great coin Simon.. +++

Q.

p.s.
yours better than mine..

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124889

Regards
Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:00:03 pm »
Thank You Both, I bought a few of these coins while  looking Alexius IIIrd coinage, this one I knew it was not A3 but it was just so attractive, I had to put it in my collection.

All is fine after the storm, much of Florida is still waiting to get power but it returned for me after a day.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity