Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Pendant  (Read 1705 times)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Bronze Pendant
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:00:05 pm »
Bronze pendant, of unknown origin. It was tentatively identified as 3-4th century Roman by an archaeologist friend, but I was wondering if anyone here had seen anything of similar design. I do not know its place of origin. The hanger at the top is almost worn through, presumably by a chain or string.

Interestingly, it has three sets of two holes around its pattern, which are punched through. The bottom set is along the break line. What purpose might this have served?

The back is simple, depressed, and has a generally unfinished look to it.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze Pendant
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:28:24 pm »
It is certainly not Roman.  While it is very hard to prove a negative I would just say that I have handled literally thousands of Roman items, and studied images of tens of thousands, and have never seen anything in this style with documented Roman provenance.  To me it does looks like post-medieval Islamic - my guess is Ottoman Turkish from the Balkans.  It looks like it was once meant to be hung and later was perforated and sewn onto something.  Such decorations are common on clothing, belts, horse-harness, etc. from the Balkans.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity