Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need help to identify this poss. 5th or 4th cent. Greek (?) coin, please.  (Read 1266 times)

Offline 186

• Praetorian
I have this (bronze/copper?) AE 16.3 mm., (3.4 mm thick), 4.56 gm., coin that I am having great difficulty identifying.
The 'obverse' appears to have the bust of a woman, with her hair tied up, facing right, (off centre in the lower right quadrant). There appear to be letters behind head which may be "K M" or even "ROMA"? There may be 'radiate' lines from around her head which could be a Tyche-like crown/tiara?
The 'reverse appears to have two lines of letters which could be "CHL" (or similar) over "MYAI" or "MYAK" in a 'vine' wreath, with the vine twisted (joined) at the bottom and the 'laurel' leaves travelling around the edge.

I am hoping that this description may help.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Offline 186

• Praetorian
Re: I need help to identify this poss. 5th or 4th cent. Greek (?) coin, please.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:31:13 pm »
Nothing familiar to anyone?

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
I have one of these too. 16 mm., 3 h, 3.81 g. Probably Roman Provincial, no later than 1st cent. AD.

The obverse legend runs anticlockwise, and reads .......QVIN D(?) M (or Æ)...... The QVIN could be part of a name, or refer to the duumviri quinquennales known from several Spanish cities, Buthrotum, and Corinth.

The reverse has an inscription in a wreath: CHL (or CAEL) / M(?)....AI.

Any suggestions?

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
I'm guessing Carthago Nova in Spain, with the reverse alluding to C. Helvius Pollio, who was a duovir quinquennalis (the QVIN on the obverse seems to point in that direction). I sent this suggestion to RPC Online, but they didn't respond.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity