Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What causes these kinds of edges on tetradrachms?  (Read 646 times)

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
What causes these kinds of edges on tetradrachms?
« on: September 03, 2017, 12:27:09 pm »
Forgive me if this is a question that has been previously asked or has an incredibly obvious answer but I couldn't find any concrete information through searching.

I've seen a fair number of billon tets with this kind of corrosion around the edges and was just curious what actually causes them to become so pockmarked, and in some cases rather 'lumpy' in character.

An example is attached, though perhaps not the best now that I look at it more closely as it doesn't quite show the 'lumpy' characteristic. This particular specimen should be a Maximianus billon tet. Minted in Alexandria. Obv. MAΞIMIANOCCEB, laureate and draped bust right. Rev. Nike walking right, holding palm branch and wreath. L Z across fields. Γ in exergue. Milne 5049.

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: What causes these kinds of edges on tetradrachms?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:00:07 pm »
I suppose the reason is the molds used to cast the blanks, probably sandmolds, this is just my 2 c on basis of what I now about casting.

Clueless

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:09:11 pm »
Yes coarse sand molds, for the late tetradrachm blanks.

Iwaniw

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:29 am »
Aha, that is interesting to know!

Thank you both for the answers!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity