Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Ae Pan Weight? N X  (Read 3005 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Ae Pan Weight? N X
« on: September 02, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »
I recently acquired what was described as a Byzantine square bronze pan weight.  It has a crude N on the obverse and a X on the reverse.  It measures 12.63 mm x 12.10 mm x 3.55mm.  It weighs 4.5 g,  

I am assuming that this is a 1 Nomisma weight.  I would appreciate any ideas as to its age and what the X denotes.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
Re: Byzantine Ae Pan Weight? N X
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 02:06:30 am »
I've never heard of the term "pan weight". It is definitively a Byzantine coin weight of 1 Nomisma. The N obverse stands for nomisma.
The kross reverse stands in general for weight.
Basil

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:35 am »
There are several books addressing ancient  "Balance Pan Weights."  Is a date in the 5th and 6th century probably accurate for this Byzantine weight?  Pogh_poor,
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:47:21 pm »
That the patina that is not within the engraved N and X or on the sides is very strange.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:34:28 pm »
a good point about the patina, it is strange.

I have seen a number of odd weights out there the last six months with to me unusual patina in the inscriptions and curious patterns of marks of engraving in the inscriptions. Have been saving a few of the pictures but have not spent the time to really compare for consideration of being fakes. I am not suggesting one thing or another about this weight in discussion.

cw

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
This weight has evidently been created at some stage from old piece of flat bronze.
When this was done is hard to say. Maybe ancient, but I suspect it's more recent.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity