Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does this look like bronze disease?  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
Does this look like bronze disease?
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »
I don't really have any experience with identifying bronze disease, but this coin I received looks like it could possibly be afflicted with it.

Does this look like bronze disease? Do I need to do anything about it at this stage if it is or should I just observe and see if it spreads?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Does this look like bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:57:09 am »
It certainly looks like bronze disease, would you say the infected area is powdery or hard like enamel ?

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:12 am »
Gentle poking with a wooden toothpick does seem to produce small green flakes. I'm guessing it's most likely bronze disease then which is unfortunate as I quite liked this coin! Should I remove it, soak in distilled water, dry thoroughly, and observe? Searching here seems to give quite a bit of conflicting information so it's hard to know where to start before doing something drastic!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:22:16 am »
Distilled water will only make the situation worse at this point, since moisture is what activates the reaction.  You could treat with sodium-sesquicarbonate (sp?), which will neutralize the reaction and leave those spots red and hard. Or you could brush it off really well (with a dry brass brush) and see if it returns.  I've done that on a couple and they've remained stable for years.

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:27:55 pm »
Thank you for the advice!

If I were to thoroughly brush off the BD and the coin remained stable over a period of a few weeks or months, would it ever be safe to store it with other coins (I use trays) or would there always be a risk in doing so?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 02:31:35 am »
I would quarantine your coin for a period of 6-12 months after treatment. Hopefully your coin will remain stable but i would periodically check for new signs of BD.

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
Thanks, I'll do that and keep my fingers crossed!

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 05:00:28 pm »

There are a few threads you can pull up from the boards here. Many contain good advice about treating/slowing BD. Use "Treating BD" in the discussion search function.

Offline Ioseff

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »

There are a few threads you can pull up from the boards here. Many contain good advice about treating/slowing BD. Use "Treating BD" in the discussion search function.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll be sure to take a look! For now I want to try and avoid doing anything too drastic that could potentially harm the coin and just wait and see if it resurfaces before trying anything else.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity