Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Magnesia (which one?) AE with lyre reverse  (Read 667 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Magnesia (which one?) AE with lyre reverse
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:39:58 pm »
I am in the middle of sorting out several hundred bronzes for the new Lydian catalog (the research and preparation now in its fourth year!) and the person whose idea the new catalog was, included this image of a coin.
Obv: Laureate male head right
Rev: MAGNH-TWN to right and left of a lyre (or kithara).

I didn't have it in my extensive lists of Magnesia ad Sipylum, and I cannot find it in any works of coins of Magnesia ad Sipylum, Lydia; Magnesia ad Maeandrum, Ionia; Magnetes, Thessaly.
Besides all the usual BMC catalogs and because of the somewhat Seleukid look of the head on the obverse I also looked Hoover's HGC of Seleukids, Sicily, Pontos and Pelopponesos.

I also looked on coinarchives Pro, Paris, Berlin and various other collections, all without success. Not a lyre in sight.

Does anyone recognize it ?

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Magnesia (which one?) AE with lyre reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:25:21 pm »
Connected with this perhaps?

IONIA
PO :   MAGNESIA
PZ :   Between 0 and 100
BNG:   EYP'HMOS
Obverse
VSG:   EYP'HMOS
VT :   HEAD WOMAN R / ARTEMIS
VA :   BOW / QUIVER
Reverse
RSG:   MAGNHTWN
RT :   HEAD MAN R / APOLLO / LYRE
Technical details
M  :   AE
GR :   11(1-3)
GEW:   2.76(1) / 1.88(2) / 2.7(3)
ST :   12(1-3) / 01(3)
Bibliographical references
ZIT:   RPC I 2692A(1-3) / SCHULTZ MAGNESIA 55(1) / SNG KOP 23 857(1)
VGL:   SCHULTZ MAGNESIA 56(2) <FUND> / COLL BERLIN(2) / SCHULTZ MAGNESIA 57(3) / SNG TUEBINGEN 2963(3) / COLL HOMMEL(3)
Additional remarks
FR :   VS: EYP'HMOS RS: MAGNHTWN
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:54:40 pm »
I suspect this is an unpublished coin of Magnetes in Thessaly.  I checked Rogers' book on Thessaly and there are no lyres.  The reason I suspect Thessaly is that many of the coins break the inscription MAGNH-TWN and write it on two parallel lines as your example does.  The fabric of some coins also seems similar to yours.

As archivum points out, the Magnesia in Ionia has coins depicting lyres.  So it is also a good candidate.

Magnesia in Lydia uses MAGNHTWN but seems like the weakest candidate of the three.

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 08:06:32 am »
I am in the middle of sorting out several hundred bronzes for the new Lydian catalog (the research and preparation now in its fourth year!) and the person whose idea the new catalog was, included this image of a coin.

What is this catalog you're speaking about?

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:26:23 pm »
Quote from: Joss
What is this catalog you're speaking about?
[/quote

A new catalog of Lydian coins. I am in the "last" stages now, ID-ing all the collectors images then needing to find all the Lydians on a DVD of images from European museums, then correlating all these to the (currently) 6,366 coins in my text files. But I don't think I will be able to find all the missing images.
And if my dear friend Markus N. keeps offering yet more hitherto unlisted Lydian types in his auctions (unnamed because of Forum rules, but it took me a week to plough through and carefully check all the coins in his sale of Plankenhorn's Lydians), the catalog will never be finished !   ;D

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »
I suspect this is an unpublished coin of Magnetes in Thessaly.  I checked Rogers' book on Thessaly and there are no lyres.  The reason I suspect Thessaly is that many of the coins break the inscription MAGNH-TWN and write it on two parallel lines as your example does.  The fabric of some coins also seems similar to yours.

As archivum points out, the Magnesia in Ionia has coins depicting lyres.  So it is also a good candidate.

Magnesia in Lydia uses MAGNHTWN but seems like the weakest candidate of the three.

I also thought of Magnetes in Thessaly, as I already found one coin in "his" list which is definitely from Magnetes. I have scoured through all my books and pdfs for Magnetes (as well as Schultz, Magnesia Ionia of course) but from the overall "look" of the coin, I also feel sure it is from Thessaly. I think I'll send the pic to BCD and ask whether it was he who sold it to "him".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity