Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A puzzling hut coin.  (Read 2447 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
A puzzling hut coin.
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:37:23 pm »
I have recently obtained a FEL TEMP - Hut coin of Constans that is quite puzzling. I thought it worth sharing.

It has N on both sides, which is quite common from Rome and Rare from Aquileia on very late issues but not noted for other mints.

The exe appears to be TR. This would indicate Trier but TR alone is not a listed mintmark but would be consistent with a later issue.

The tree is consistent with the type ONLY used in Trier and doesn't appear to be known from Rome.

The portrait style, hut etc. look like Trier to my eye.

I have chatted to Bill Welch on the topic and he states "That is a very unusual specimen! As you say, the N denominational mark is only documented from Rome and Aquileia. And that mintmark should not exist.. The portrait looks OK for Trier. The tree is a Trier type (as you say). The appearance and stance of the small figure are good, though the arm being grasped is mis-shapen. The hut type is OK. The soldier's stance is OK. All for Trier."

In my experience, Trier did not produce the sort of oddities I have seen from Siscia. So even though the style is good enough to have been made by a mint worker, I would not want to say this this is an official issue."

Any other thoughts? My initial reaction was that this could be a very late unlisted issue from Trier but I am far from an expert on these.

Martin

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: A puzzling hut coin.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:40:08 pm »
Real unique coin and my first reaction it looks an official mint product in style and fabric.
Odd to me is the missing workshop (officina)  letter, (maybe a clogged die?).  On the reverse, the large N appears sloppy inscribed and the legend break there, I haven't noticed before either.
Perhaps Doug Smith will clock in with his thoughts.
Trail piece, perhaps?
Nice find and Trier is a scarce mint for these.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 06:56:09 am »
A very fascinating oddity.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:14:55 am »
From Forum website

"Some hut coins from Rome have the letter N behind the bust, perhaps as an indication of the denomination of the coin. If they do, the same letter N also appears on the far right of the reverse."
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/hut_analysis.html
The same N is listed for some coins from Aquileia, though I haven't seen one yet
Average Weight: RIC VIII says: 4.25g. My coins: 3.63g. (13 coins)

From Doug Smith

UPDATE: Two years after posting this page, I acquired this Trier mint (TRP) coin of Constantius Gallus. While that alone made the coin interesting, this specimen is made more appealing by its huge 25mm, 5.85g flan. While weights of late Roman coins can be quite variable, this one makes me ask questions that can not be answered. Is there an explanation for the coin being so heavy, broad and thin? Certainly nothing can be proven but the flan is what I would expect if it were prepared by hammering flat another coin of slightly greater weight standard. The previous issue from this mint was for Magnentius and many were of about this weight. Was this flan recycled from politically incorrect stock at the mint? It is a "fun" theory but nothing can be proven. If nothing else, the coin is an unusual example with full border of dots on both sides.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/fh.html

and finally on flea bay a coin of Aquileia that has the N on both obverse and reverse featuring the Emperor standing holding standard with 2 captives.

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=132171869422&t=0&tid=7710&category=18465&seller=aleksus24&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=77&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=2&secureDesc=0
So, some interesting bits on this fascinating topic

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 02:13:42 pm »
The placement of the N does initially strike as odd but it is consistent with the placement at Rome.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »
Nice discussion and interesting coin  +++

Thank you Martin and Vincent  +++ +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 03:32:11 pm »
Found a other from Rome mint at accoinsearch

Description

Constantius II. AD 337-361. Æ Centenionalis (20mm, 3.43 g, 12h). Rome mint, 3rd officina. Struck AD 348-350. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust left, holding orb; N to right / Soldier advancing right, head left, holding spear and leading small figure from a hut beneath a tree; RT. RIC VIII 156; LRBC 593. Good vf

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=Constantius+hut+rome&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&thesaurus=1&order=0&company=

So, with the same legend break as Rome, I would say your coin is the real McCoy.

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 07:57:52 pm »
Congrats. What is the size and weigh?
I agree style is same as Trier.
 T for third officina and R for Roma? But i seriously doubt it is from Roma mint.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:55:55 am »
Most certainly from Trier. Appears official,  Perhaps Rome mint officials sent a model example to be issued initially and this is what was produced by Trier? Almost immediately afterward message was sent to remove the "N"?
Just conjectures. Could not find another example with N of the Hut from Trier and did not check other references or catalogs.
This may be unique and a new variant. Most exciting.
Yes like the specs weight, die axis and size.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:03:06 am »
I shall post weight, die axis and size later today.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:32 pm »
20.87 mm. 4.39 gms. 180 degrees
Martin

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:59 am »
Thank you.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 10:25:13 am »
Yes, thank you, Martin...quickly checked range of weight based on Trier examples for Hut specimens and this fit within the range class...toward the heavier end of the scale.
Maybe a PM to Doug to alert him of your find is in due order.
He would appreciate to be notified. Maybe he's on vacation now.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:14:55 am »
I have spoken to Doug privately about the coin.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 12:57:47 pm »
Wonderful! Looking to hear his thoughts after his own research and other considerations.
Martin, nice looking coin, too. Too bad it has the scratch on the portrait, other than that choice.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 08:07:59 pm »
Interesting coin.

My first thought was a Rome coin with the mint mark reversed - TR instead of RT - the R is even in the right place.  The odd N and letter placement matching that Rome coin point that way too.  But of course the next question would be does the style match and Bill is the style guru for this type.  If he says Trier then that seems very likely.  Though it might be worth asking him, if you haven't already, if he thinks it could be Rome style too.

I believe that the N marks the second series of the middle denomination in the West and is the equivalent of the large denomination with the A in the West and the  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: on both denominations in the East.  These superseded the first series, which had no letters in the field, in mid-349.  While the A was struck throughout the West the N is only known at Rome and Aquileia.  This implies that the medium denomination ceased to be struck at the rest of the Western mints before mid-349.

If yours is an official Trier issue it would imply that this denomination was struck there until just after the second series started.  Perhaps the awkward N placement and letter spacing on this and the Rome coin represent the die engravers' first attempts at adding the N to the fairly busy design.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 05:01:02 am »
Hello Shawn,
Many thanks. Bill was of the opinion that all the style elements other then the raised arm of the captive were entirely consistent with Trier.
Regards,
Martin

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 06:00:45 am »
I have pretty much hard with "style" for one mint...

Its ok, i use and show many mint "style" for my study on my website who will open on january. But i still find coins for a specific mint who show style of another mint. Therefore the style can be an important part for recognyze a coin but not an undoubting point. Here i agree that the mark added to the style dnt let doubt. So its still an curious coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity