Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PROBUS - another unpublished unicum, this time from Siscia  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Barnaba6

• Consul
  • Gallery of the year 2019 award winner
PROBUS - another unpublished unicum, this time from Siscia
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:30 am »
This is another gem among my numerous latest Probus additions:

OBVERSE: IMP[erator] C[easar] M[arcvs] AVR[elivs] PROBVS P[ivs] AVG[vstvs]
 REVERSE: VIRTVS PROBI AVG[vsti]
 BUST TYPE: E1 (Bastien's bust classification) / G (RIC V.II bust classification) = radiate, helmeted bust left with shield and spear  
 FIELD / EXERGUE MARKS: -/-//XXIS
 WEIGHT 2.95g / AXIS: 12h / WIDTH: 22mm
 RIC: UNLISTED WITH THIS REVERSE TYPE FOR SISCIA
 ALFOLDI 099 / - UNLISTED WITH THIS BUST AND XXIS MINTMARK
 COLLECTION NO. 1038

It is the only coin I have ever seen with such reverse type, i.e. VIRTVS PROBI AVG reverse legend and Adventvs iconography for Siscia.

Although this extremely rare reverse type is listed in Alfoldi under no. 99, Alfoldi does not list a coin with this reverse and E1 (G) bust neither with XXIS mintmark.

So this coin is totally unpublished and apparently unique !

Needless to say, If anyone has ever seen this reverse type before please let me know as I am always happy to expand my Probus database.  

Gallery of the year 2019 award winner

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=43425

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: PROBUS - another unpublished unicum, this time from Siscia
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:46:20 am »
Any way Barnabas,  it's a very nice and rare coin,
 you have a very good eyes to find them... ;) ;) +++

Regards
 Joe as Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Barnaba6

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:14 am »
Thanks Joe!

SEstiot

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:10:16 am »

Dear Barnaba,

Yes your coin is unique!, and a good example of a die engraver's mistake... The scalptor, tired of engraving dozens of VIRTVS PROBI AVG (Mars walking r.) and ADVENTVS AVG (Emperor on horseback l.) has mixed everything at the end of a hard day of labour. Your coin is the result of it, and shows that the die hasn't been discarded all at once, which happens for these emissions of Siscia when the scalptores and the mint are under hard pressure to meet the needs.

I know only 3 other coins with this reverse mistake (legend VIRTVS PROBI AVG with the ADVENTVS AVG type), which are all in Vienna and quoted by Alföldi 99,1. But obverse bust and reverse mark differ from your coin.

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG -H2- (radiate consular bust with scipio l.)
VIRTVS PROBI AVG  (type ADVENTVS AVG) // XXIP

They are listed under nr. 6534-6436 in my corpus Probus Paris+Wien (BNCMER XII.2 in preparation), with this footnote : "Catal. 6534-6536. Les 3 ex. répertoriés - ces 3 ex. de Vienne - sont de la même paire de coins. Probablement une erreur du scalptor, qui a gravé la légende VIRTVS PROBI AVG sur le type de revers ADVENTVS AVG : l'erreur atteste la contemporanéité de ces deux types au cours de l'émission 4."

One more rarity in your collection!...

S. Estiot

Offline Barnaba6

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:20:38 am »
Dear Sylviane,

thank you very much for your very informative and interesting comments, which I appreciate greatly!

best regards,

Barnaba

Offline Barnaba6

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 11:36:06 am »
I know only 3 other coins with this reverse mistake (legend VIRTVS PROBI AVG with the ADVENTVS AVG type), which are all in Vienna and quoted by Alföldi 99,1.

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG -H2- (radiate consular bust with scipio l.)
VIRTVS PROBI AVG  (type ADVENTVS AVG) // XXIP

While updating my Probus database I have just come across another coin with this exceptional reverse and H2 bust, but with the legend: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, so unlisted by Alfoldi and also apparently an unpublished unicum [sadly this time not in my collection :( ]

The coin comes from Gitbudnaumann ebay sale no. 160906893861 which took place on 2012-11-01 and weighs 4.70 g   

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:18:09 pm »
nice find
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

SEstiot

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:17 am »

... very interesting! So, to summarize : 5 coins listed with this "mixed-up" reverse VIRTVS PROBI AVG legend/ ADVENTVS AVG type, from 3 different reverse dies (as your coin //XXIP is struck from a different reverse die from the 3 coins in Vienna) : 2 dies //XXIP ; 1 die //XXIS.
S. Estiot

All coins are guaranteed for eternity