Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: IS THIS A FAKE? Miletos diobol lion  (Read 834 times)

Offline Michael M7

• Auxiliary
IS THIS A FAKE? Miletos diobol lion
« on: August 17, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »
Found this on ebay for a few dollars but in hand it feels fake. Supposed to be a Miletos,Ionia 6th century BC.  .95g while all others I have found are over 1g.
What do you experts think? So many fakes on ebay! Is this the classic "soapy" look of a cast?

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
Re: IS THIS A FAKE? Miletos diobol lion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:54:12 pm »
It looks genuine to me. Your coin is an obol, or a trihemiobol, not a diobol, hence the light weight.

Offline Michael M7

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:23:43 pm »
Thank You for your input Joss. It was sold as a 1/12 stater and I have not found any obols of the same type so that also has confused me.

Offline marcos x

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »
Ive had porous ones like this that weighed half as much as the usual, its not uncommon for these to be under a gram
when I die make sure to put two coins on my eyes for the boatman......make sure they are not fouree's

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:47:02 am »
Thank You for your input Joss. It was sold as a 1/12 stater and I have not found any obols of the same type so that also has confused me.
You have other examples here: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=milet+obol+0.9

All coins are guaranteed for eternity