Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius denarius probably new bust variant  (Read 1051 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Marcus Aurelius denarius probably new bust variant
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »
Hi!

Only standard bare bust is recorded in standard resources for this type - i.e. RIC, Cohen, RSC, Reka Devnia, numismatics.org...unfortunately BM online search is down for about month already...so I dont know what is there in BM. So, I presume the below coin could be a rare bust variety.

ob. M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVI  laur draped and cuirassed bust right
rev IMP VI COS III Victory walking left with wreath and palm tree

RIC 255 (var), RSC 265 (var)

18mm - 3,3g - 6h

Thank you for your time,

Z.

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
Re: Marcus Aurelius denarius probably new bust variant
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:41:15 pm »
I frequently have problems with searching the BM database as well, and have noticed that occasionally resetting their cookies, or changing to a different browser may solve the issue, at least temporarily. Because sometimes the servers are just not responding at all, regardless of any tricks on client side.

BM db seems to be up at this moment.

G/<

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:04:02 pm »

BM db seems to be up at this moment.

G/<

Thanks much G! Yes, it's up now...you are right!...I checked, there is also only a standard bare bust for TR P XXVI Victory in BM...so my variant is not there.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »
According to BMC, BM doesn't have this TR P XXVI Victory advancing denarius even with the standard head laureate r., though there were 11 such coins in the RD hoard.

Draped and cuir. bust type is recorded on denarii with other rev. types in this issue, however:

Roma seated l., BM 560

Aequitas standing l., BM 561, pl. 64.6 (diff. obv. die from your Victory piece)

Mars standing r., Berk stock, Aug. 2014.

Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:58 pm »
Please use BMCRE so the reference links with NumisWiki and our new collectors can click and learn more about the reference.  BM cannot work as an autolink because they must be at least four characters and there are too many possible different BM links.  

I just added the following autolinks:

RD Hoard - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Reka%20Devnia

BM Online - https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:19:48 am »

According to BMC, BM doesn't have this TR P XXVI Victory advancing denarius even with the standard head laureate r., though there were 11 such coins in the RD hoard.

Curtis, in fact there is one standard laur head/bare bust TR P XXVI Victory in BM (pls see the pic below). May be BMCRE had been printed before this type appeared there. That coin is from Great Melton Hoard and it was acquired by BM in 1985.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=3169535&partId=1&searchText=marcus+aurelius+IMP+VI+Victory+TR+P+XXVI+denarius&page=1

Joe, thank you for extending NumisWiki with new autolinks!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:37:45 am »
As I said, "according to BMC". For BMCRE IV the last reprint with corrections and additions dates to 1968.

Nice to know that the BM now has a specimen of this TR P XXVI Victory denarius with the standard bust type, acquired in 1985 from a hoard.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity