Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just Another Minerva?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Just Another Minerva?
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:16:43 am »
My most recent addition is an fairly ordinary Domitian Minerva denarius. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11162&pos=0

I was kind of excited to receive the piece because it completes my set of Minerva types for Domitian's last issue of 89. I came across only one other example in trade with this dating combination in the last couple of years. Perhaps it isn't as 'common' as the other three Minerva types in the issue? Even something as seemingly uninteresting as this denarius has a story.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Just Another Minerva?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:24:02 am »
Good find David.   I'm actually starting to appreciate Domitian's  coinage a lot more lately.  For many years I resisted buying them because I thought they were boring but since purchasing the new RIC I've realized there are some really interesting issues, like this one.  I have one coming soon I know you'll like  ;)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:56:02 am »
Nice Find David ...

Slowly you have all type and variation .. :)   +++

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:59 am »
Nice addition.

I checked mine, it's from different dies; I should take a new picture and add it to the gallery.

Alberto

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 09:17:34 am »
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Jay, I felt the same about Domitian for many years and focused primarily on Vespasian and Titus. Domitian's Minerva series seemed monolithically boring. Then one day 3 or 4 years ago the hidden charm of his coinage revealed itself to me, I haven't looked back since.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
Congrats, David ... you seem totally psyched, so I'm amazingly happy for your sweet coin-accomplishment (well done)

Ummm, I'm certainly not an expert at Minerva-types (I don't even have my Novice-badge) ...

=> oh, but I do happen to have these two examples (wanna see 'em?)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:42:57 am »
Congrats, David ... you seem totally psyched, so I'm amazingly happy for your sweet coin-accomplishment (well done)

Ummm, I'm certainly not an expert at Minerva-types (I don't even have my Novice-badge) ...

=> oh, but I do happen to have these two examples (wanna see 'em?)

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Great coins, especially the Domitian.   ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity