Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just added a Galba denarius with an interesting portrait  (Read 653 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Just added a Galba denarius with an interesting portrait
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:57 pm »
I have been looking for a second Galba denarius for my 12 Caesars collection. I was able to win this one. I love it for the reverse and for the strange portrait of Galba.

acsearch: 5
CNG archives: 1
Coin archives: 1(this coin)

I know Virtus has appeared on another denarius of Galba, the coins of Augustus, Nero, and on some civil wars denarii. I really like the depiction of Virtus on this coin.

Please post your coins of Galba.

GALBA, A.D. 68-69. AR Denarius (3.38 gms), Rome Mint, ca. A.D. July 68-January 69.
RIC-236. "IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG" Laureate bust of Galba facing right; Reverse: Virtus standing facing, holding parazonium upwards and leaning on vertical spear.
NGC Ch F, Strike: 5/5 Surface: 4/5.
Provenance: From the Graywood Collection.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-139216

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Just added a Galba denarius with an interesting portrait
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »
Great piece  +++

Real "Roman nose"   :)

Nice portrait :)

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:05:01 pm »
 +++
Sam Mansourati

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:10:07 pm »
You've been busy!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:14:00 pm »
An interesting reverse type. My opinion, without consulting my notes or having read up on the subject:

Virtus is a lady, so the naked man in the coin type can only be the emperor, portrayed as a man of valor according to the legend. Similarly the legend VIRTVS AVG or VIRTVTI AVGVSTI is joined with types of Emperor riding down enemy under Sept. Sev., and of Hercules standing under Gordian III, to name just two of the earlier parallels.

Nude depictions of the emperor are rare on coins. Two other occurrences: statue of nude Octavian atop rostral column on IMP - CAESAR denarii of Augustus/Octavian; nude figure of Caracalla, perhaps taking over a type of the heroic Alexander the Great, on denarii of 200, with legend RECTOR ORBIS or PONTIF TR P III.

Galba's type seems to be rare with this obv. legend ending P M (omitted in your description above, though not in your gallery). Cohen 343 cites this variety from the Gosselin Sale of 1864, and RIC 236 says "confirmation required". I find your specimen and four others in CoinArchives Pro. Several of the four others seem to share their rev. die or both dies with yours; I can't compare easily because my printer refuses to print out the pictures for me.
Curtis Clay

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:01:15 pm »
Thanks very much Curtis for taking the time to comment. Thanks also for telling me more about my coin. I also appreciate that you caught my error in the legend.

As soon as I saw this come up for auction I thought it was an interesting coin. I was initially attracted the unusual portrait, but I also found the use of Virtus interesting.

Thanks to all for your kind comments, they are appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity