Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero pre-reform denarius  (Read 472 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Nero pre-reform denarius
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:37:07 pm »
Hi all,

I managed to win this coin in an auction.I have been looking for a decent pre-reform Nero denarius for over a year. They are always popular.

What do I like about this coin? First, there is the youthful portrait before the later fat tyrant portrait we all know and love. The portrait is quite nice on this coin and the depiction of Nero is quite affable. Second, I like that the coin has the full legend on the obverse. Yes it is a bit worn, but it is there. I also like the reverse, but it seems more worn than the obverse.

This is my second Nero denarius and will have a special position in my 12 Caesars collection.

Nero. As Caesar, A.D. 50-54. AR denarius (18.40 mm, 3.37 g, 7 h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. NERO CAESAR AVG IMP, bare head right / PONTIF MAX TR P VII COS IIII P P, EX S C across field, Roma standing right, holding and inscribing shield supported on knee, foot on helmet; dagger and bow at feet to right. RIC 28; RSC 222. aVF, toned. Rare. From the D. Thomas Collection; Ex Hohn Leipziger Munzhandlung.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-139198

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Nero pre-reform denarius
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:12 pm »
Nice one Andrew, I didn't win anything at that auction.   Congrats.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Re: Nero pre-reform denarius
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:21:32 pm »
I always check the auction house coin references when I buy a coin. Sometimes they get it wrong. They did in this case. As I suspected about 20 minutes ago this coin is not RIC 28, it is RIC 34. The reverse legend reads TRP VIII and NOT TRP VII.

I want to personally thank Curtis Clay for also noticing this and for sending me a PM to inform me of the error.

I may be generalizing too much but I think RIC 34 is a rarer coin than RIC 28. I found 0 examples of RIC 34 in the CNG archives and only 4 on acsearch.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity