Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantin I, coins are authentic from https://numismaticfakes.wordpress.com  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
This will be a little bit confusing and complicated because very much information + pictures.
I will try to explain why they can not be made from the transfer dies in Dr. Ilya Prokopov´s book.
I have to mention what Odysseus and Dr. Ilya Prokopov wrote about this dies for better understanding.

Odysseus: "I just realized all these samples of gold solidus of Constantine I are forgeries, struck by modern dies."

https://numismaticfakes.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/oh-my-they-are-all-forgeries/

The Odysseus, the author of https://numismaticfakes.wordpress.com is refering to:
Dr. Ilya Prokopov on “COUNTERFEITS OF ROMAN AND BYZANTINE GOLD COINS – Revealing the secret of how they are made.” (Sofia, 2015), p.32, No.3.

FIRST dies are not modern! (An specimen in ANS is from same dies dating back to  (Fundstelle: Beaurains ("Arras"), France, 1922)/Bequest of E.T. Newell
Another example from same dies is dating back to 1935 Hess sale.
Picture see in my next post  

http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.6007

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.6.tri.815

Dr. Ilya Prokopov is writing in his book about this die:
See picture 1+2

"3.
CONSTANTINE I Couple of nickel dies for AV Solidus,
 Trier,
struck 310-313 AD.
Obv. CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate head right.
Rev. p q r optimo principi' target='_blank'>S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, legionary eagle between two stan
-
dards, one surmounted by a hand, the other by a wreath. In ex. PTR.
RIC VI, p. 222, No 815. Cohen 556; Alföldi 507; Depeyrot 17/9; Sear
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine/_trier_RIC_VI_815.
jpg
Specific features: Obverse - smudged letters on 9h (PF); Reverse - short
positive line between the letter P and border of dots on 2,5h. See No.11."

NOW it is my turn!

The "positive line between the letter P and border of dots on 2,5h" is on both authentic specimens, too. (ANS + Adolph Hess sale, May 22, 1935, 3947)
That means that this line was in the authentic dies (die break or die flaw) and it is pretty normal that authentic coins made with this dies have this line  (die break or die flaw).
That such a die break or flaw develops (it becomes stronger and larger) with the time of usage should be clear.
So there must be authentic coins without without  die break or flaw, they were minted from fresher dies before this (die break or flaw) appeared in the dies.
There must be examples with a weak die flaw or break when it started to develop and examples with much stronger die flaw or break at a late die state after much more usage.
ANS ans Hirsch seem to be from an earlier die state that the other examples.

I think it is a flow line and flow lines grow with usage.

About flow lines from bpmurphy

"Flow lines develop in the die, not the flan. When a coin is struck the flan expands from the center towards the edges. Flow lines appear in spots where the devices meet the fields or anywhere where there is a change in depth of the die. As a flan is struck and the metal expands, there is friction and a change of speed in the flow of the metal wherever there is a change in the depth of the die. The most abrupt change occurs where the devices meet the fields, but there are other places such as around the ears and eyes. This friction is what causes the flow line to appear in the die. At first they are microscopic, but with successive strike they grow. There is much less friction across the fields so you are much less likely to get flow lines in the fields, although, as a die is used more and more, the flow lines extending from the devices can extend across the fields. The most likely places for flow lines to develop are around the bust and at the tops of the letters, extending toward the rims, as you go from device to field.

"Where and when flow lines develop are a function of several factors. 1) The depth of the engraving. 2) How close the engraving is to the edge of the die. 3) The hardness of the die and the eveness of that hardess across the die's surface. 4) Whether the flan is struck hot or cold 5) How hard the dies are routinely struck. All these factors effect the speed the metal flows and in which directions it flows the fastest. The flow lines will develop quickest and deepest where the metal flows the fastest and where the dies are the softest.

"Even today, modern dies develop flow lines. It is these microscopic lines in the die that give a coin cartwheel luster. Modern dies though are repolished occasionally so the flow lines tend to be erased repeatedly. Ancient dies were not polished as frequently, if at all with most dies, and the flow lines would continue to grow as the die was used. Two coins struck from the same dies in relative proximity to each other should exhibit the same flow lines."

The coin in Dr. Ilya Prokopov´s book is not from this transfer dies, a condemnation due to the line on the P is not plausible, he should have made a die study by comparing it to authentic examples to see what was in the authentic dies and what not.

Another methodic thing, if you determine the position it would be good if both picture are mirrored or both are not mirrored (picture 2).
No.12 is not mirrored and position red cycle is 9 o clock.
No.13 is mirrored and so the correct position not mirrored would be 10 o clock and not 2,5 o clock

That is confusing.

On the obverse the P at 9 o clock is actually damaged in the transfer dies and this defect should be visible on the fakes made with it.
(P can look a little bit different an fakes made with this transfer dies due to differences from striking/minting (metal flow, soft or strong strike, slippage etc.).)
A coin with a  PERFECT UNDAMAGED P  at 9 o clock can not be made with this dies. (picture 4, I think that the P is better on all other examples).
Striking/minting can and will not repair a damaged P!

It is pretty easy to tell if a coin can not be a transfer die fake, you have to look for details, which are sharper/better as in the transfer dies, things that were off center on the mother and so missing in the transfer die if not recutted (parts of letters or dotted border etc.) ......

You can look for things that are/were always from the beginning  in the transfer dies and missing on the coins, too. (For example rised lines "tooling marks")

There will be always a transfer loss in the transfer dies, softer details and some very small details will be lost.
This transfer loss can be seen generally very good at the very very fine flow lines (small die breaks in the original dies often connecting the letters with the dotted border), which will not be completely or not captured in the impression or gettting lost while making the dies from the impression with casting or electroplating.

Transfer die fakes and cast fakes do generally have problems when it comes to capture the very fine letter details and very fine flow lines perfecty.

Some transfer dies will show rised lines which where not in the mother and will be either the result from tooling the impression or a problem while the transfer die is produced with electroplating.  

If you look carefully you will see that the condemned coins have flow lines (flow lines are small die breaks)  which are not in the transfer die!
If a coin has flow lines you can be sure that these flow lines are in the dies, too.
This means that they can not be made with this transfer die , because the transfer die do not have the flow lines that are on the coins.

What is this green cycle picture 4?
If it is a nick or scratch and not something that is/was in the original authentic dies, it would be a problem and mean that some of them are fake .

The pictures in my next post are for detail comparison for the points mentioned above.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The pictures

Picture 1 ANS same coin as picture 2 (authentic)
Picture 2 ANS same coin as picture 1 (authentic)
Picture 3 Hess 1935 (authentic)
Picture 4 sold at auction (imho authentic)
Picture 5 sold at action ( likely authentic)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
More picture

Picture 1 (likely authentic)
Picture 2 (supicious)
Picture 3 transfer die
Picture 4 transfer die
Picture 5 transfer die

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Picture 1 transfer die
Picture 2 my transfer die fake from these dies
Picture 3 my transfer die fakes from the dies from Dr. Ilya Prokopov´s book
Picture 4+5 better pictures of transfer die fakes

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
From the lead post:

<About flow lines from bpmurphy

"Flow lines develop in the die, not the flan. When a coin is struck the flan expands from the center towards the edges. Flow lines appear in spots where the devices meet the fields or anywhere where there is a change in depth of the die. As a flan is struck and the metal expands, there is friction and a change of speed in the flow of the metal wherever there is a change in the depth of the die. The most abrupt change occurs where the devices meet the fields, but there are other places such as around the ears and eyes. This friction is what causes the flow line to appear in the die. At first they are microscopic, but with successive strike they grow. There is much less friction across the fields so you are much less likely to get flow lines in the fields, although, as a die is used more and more, the flow lines extending from the devices can extend across the fields. The most likely places for flow lines to develop are around the bust and at the tops of the letters, extending toward the rims, as you go from device to field.

"Where and when flow lines develop are a function of several factors. 1) The depth of the engraving. 2) How close the engraving is to the edge of the die. 3) The hardness of the die and the eveness of that hardess across the die's surface. 4) Whether the flan is struck hot or cold 5) How hard the dies are routinely struck. All these factors effect the speed the metal flows and in which directions it flows the fastest. The flow lines will develop quickest and deepest where the metal flows the fastest and where the dies are the softest.

"Even today, modern dies develop flow lines. It is these microscopic lines in the die that give a coin cartwheel luster. Modern dies though are repolished occasionally so the flow lines tend to be erased repeatedly. Ancient dies were not polished as frequently, if at all with most dies, and the flow lines would continue to grow as the die was used. Two coins struck from the same dies in relative proximity to each other should exhibit the same flow lines.">

I am not necessarily questioning these statements, although I don't fully follow them, so could I ask what it is the authority for them?

Ross G.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
These Constantine gold solidi were added to fake coin reports by Olisiponensis

I think that this condemnation for these coins must be lifted and the fake reports deleted

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-17977

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-17979

I will put it in a nutshell

The coins have better details (flow lines from original die and intact p on obverse) than the transfer die!!!
A coin can never ever have better details than the die used to mint the coin!!!
These details were in the original dies but were lost (flow lines) or damaged (P on obverse) in the transfer dies due to transfer errors and loss.
Polishing/finishing the transfer dies later can have removed some details, too.
The only explanation why these coins have better details (flow line) and intact P is that they can not be made from a die with worse and damaged details.

I did mention the flow lines, because they are in the dies (small die breaks).
The problem is that it is impossible that a coin has flow lines but the transfer die used to make it not!
Only exception the flow lines of the coin were later removed due to wear or corrosion (not the case here because not enough wear and gold does not or hardly corrode).

Some transfer die are polished after creation to get a smooth surface that can remove small details like flow lines, too.

The P on obverse on the transver die is damaged and so all coins with an intact P can not be minted with this die because minting will not repair such damages.

The line on the P on the reverse is a die flaw or break in the original dies and so it is meaningless if coins will have it because it will only mean that they were minted at a die state when die die flaw or break has already appeared in the original dies.

The only connection between the transfer die and the other coins is that the mother/host used to make the transfer die was an authetnic coin from the same dies as the other coins, which were wrongly condemned.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Interesting.  I don't find anything to disagree with.  Do we have any examples of fakes that are actually struck with the transfer dies?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I am not necessarily questioning these statements, although I don't fully follow them, so could I ask what it is the authority for them?

Ross G.

He is quoting Barry Murphy. Barry said it very well. What he said is not, however, new or controversial. I believe he describes widely accepted facts. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins

Ross G.

He is quoting Barry Murphy. Barry said it very well. What he said is not, however, new or controversial. I believe he describes widely accepted facts. 

Perhaps someone can refer me to further discussions on this question?

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
The nature of flow lines? The only discussions I know in writing have been here on the boards. I just used the board search and looked for "flow lines." There are a lot of results so it might take a bit of searching through them to find what you are looking for. I am not sure you will find anything more informative than this thread.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Indeed it is hard to find anything definitive on flow lines, although here is a discussion from some ago, including Barry Murphy's theory:

http://www.ancients.info/forums/archive/index.php?t-141.html

Notice that it seems not everybody agreed with Barry's theory that flow lines derive from die wear, and neither do I.

While die wear may play some role in the creation of flow lines in some instances, it seems to me that the major factor is flow of the flan metal during striking, which, incidentally, I have always thought was the standard explanation of flow lines, at least as I understand the term.

The coins below show some of the typical features of flow lines. In particular note that on the top coin the flow is radially outward from points of high relief, particularly the border dots, and that the flow lines are depressions, i.e, it appears that that the metal has been scooped or forced from the flan by the (negative) die dot.
If the flow lines were due to lines worn in the die the flow lines would appear as raised lines, not depressions.

This point is emphasised by the lower coin, where we see that some of the border dots are not fully formed, i.e, the die has not scraped up enough metal to fill the hole. This is a common characteristic of dotted borders, and it's difficult to see how it can be explained by die wear.

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Flow lines are caused by metal flow. It is metal flow that wears the lines into the dies. Fresh dies don't have strong flow lines. Worn dies have stronger flow lines. If you find die matches with worn dies and strong flow lines, the flow lines will be similar enough that it is evident they are in the die. We do not need to wonder or guess. Modern mints still witness flow lines worn into dies.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins

Fresh dies don't have strong flow lines. Worn dies have stronger flow lines.

If you find die matches with worn dies and strong flow lines, the flow lines will be similar enough that it is evident they are in the die.

Modern mints still witness flow lines worn into dies.

We need to see some evidence for these statements and conjectures.

The "flow lines" on modern dies that you refer to may very well be the result of minor radial scratches on the dies, but they seem to be quite different from the typical (negative) flow lines on ancient coins that I'm talking about.

Ross G.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar

Fresh dies don't have strong flow lines. Worn dies have stronger flow lines.

If you find die matches with worn dies and strong flow lines, the flow lines will be similar enough that it is evident they are in the die.

Modern mints still witness flow lines worn into dies.

We need to see some evidence for these statements and conjectures.

The "flow lines" on modern dies that you refer to may very well be the result of minor radial scratches on the dies, but they seem to be quite different from the typical (negative) flow lines on ancient coins that I'm talking about.

Ross G.

There is a huge difference between flow lines (small die breaks in the dies) and FLOW MARKS and halos from the metal flow of striking!

To Halos and flow marks (with pictures and explanation)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/halo_coins.html

Back to flow lines

As said before B. P. Murphy was writing about flow lines on ANCIENT COINS, only in the last paragragh he was refering to modern coins !!!!
Generally the proove of assertions is at the end/ last paragraph.
So his referring/reference to modern coins is the proove for his assertions that flow lines are small frictions in ancient dies, too.
Flow lines in modern dies are small frictions and the same must count for flow lines on ancient coins...

http://www.ancients.info/forums/archive/index.php?t-141.html

"Even today, modern dies develop flow lines. It is these microscopic lines in the die that give a coin cartwheel luster. Modern dies though are repolished occasionally so the flow lines tend to be erased repeatedly. Ancient dies were not polished as frequently, if at all with most dies, and the flow lines would continue to grow as the die was used. Two coins struck from the same dies in relative proximity to each other should exhibit the same flow lines."

B. P. Murphy said about the same about flow lines as an Expert from IAPN I was talking about flow flow lines recently.

I will try to proove B. P. Murphy statement about flow lines.

There are ways to determine the die state coins were struck at:
1. die wear
2. die flaws (metal broke out of the die)
3. die breaks
4. recutting to save the die (if a die break occure) to relieve pressure from the area where the die break is. Recutting is the attempt to endure the die life by reducing the pressure from an area where a die break is. (Not sure if recutting was actually done on Roman coins, I know an ancient Greek die that was recutted and I heared about recutting on Celtic coins.)
etc.

I guess that it is more than plausible that there are no die flaws and die breaks and that there is no die wear in completely fresh dies.
This fresh dies (without die flaws and die wear and die breaks and die wear)  do not have flow lines and coins minted with completely fresh die do not have flow lines, which means that they can not be the result from metal flow from striking. If flow lines would be the result from metal flow from striking they must be present on coins minted from fesh coins, too.

The later the die state (more die flaws, die wear and stronger break(s) ), the more and stronger flow lines the coins minted with this dies will have.

This means that there is a relation between die state and flow lines!

The later the die state (I wrote above how to determine die state), the more and stronger flow lines will be on the coins minted with these dies!!!

Mint state coins minted by dies from the same die state (GOOD strike), will show the same flow lines.
(Mint state coins because wear from circulation can remove fine details like flow lines from the coin (abrasion).

This observations will lead us to the conclusion that flow lines must be something in the die that develops with the die state.

So what in the die could be flow lines, it can not be die flaws and die wear so the only thing left is small die breaks (Murphy calls them  friction which is only another word for the same thing).

Do we have any examples of fakes that are actually struck with the transfer dies?

So far not from this dies.
It is possible that some coins were minted before this scratches came into the transfer dies.
So that a coin do not have this scratches does not mean that it could not be minted from this transfer dies.

Dr. Ilya Prokopov has found maybe a hand full of transfer die fakes struck with the transfer dies in his book.
Real catches: die flaws and die breaks and scratches from transfer die transferred to the fakes minted with them.

I can not post his complete book here "copyright" violation.

It can be bought for 10 Dollar (pdf download).

http://sp-p.net/product/counterfeits-of-roman-and-byzantine-gold-coins/

I do not think that these dies are in fake reports so far and I will not post them without allowance of Dr. Ilya Prokopov (Joe could ask him for allowance).

I could only post my 17 lead copies made from transfer dies from the book.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins

There is a huge difference between flow lines (small die breaks in the dies) and FLOW MARKS and halos from the metal flow of striking!

Yes, I thought this might come down to definitions in the end.

Personally, I've never noticed any difference in usage between "flow marks" and "flow lines", but apparently flow marks is what I have been talking about. 

Anyway, at least it seems that everybody agrees that flow marks result from metal flow on the coin, and not scratches on the die.

Ross G.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar

Yes, I thought this might come down to definitions in the end.

Personally, I've never heard of "flow marks", but apparently that is what I have been talking about.

Anyway, at least it seems that everybody agrees that flow marks result from metal flow on the coin, and not scratches on the die.

Ross G.

The definition for flow lines see B. P. Murphy.

Flow lines are small die breaks caused by metal flow where high relief meets low relief. (flow lines are small breaks in the die)

Flow marks are  radiating lines, frozen evidence of the stresses which the coin was subjected to when it was struck. (not in the dies)

I think I understand the problem, if you mint a coin you have 1/A. the flow lines in the dies and 2/B. metal flow.

You want to devide between what is caused due to metal flow and what has already been in the dies.
That is not that easy, I think that metal flow is mainly in areas where high relief meets low relief because there is the highest stress/pressure and exactly there the flow lines (small breaks) will occure in the dies. Flow lines will be in areas with high metal flow which could make a differentiation more complicated.
I think that this requires a die study, you have to compare well struck mint state coins from same die state, what all examples have must be in the dies.

The metal flow should be always a little bit different but similar on coins from the same dies.
What can influence the metal flow: 
alloy composition (even coins from same emission could have a little bit different alloy)
Plachet size, shape and thickness should be very similar but not completely identical
Depending where the planchet is positioned between the dies and where exactly the striker/hammerer hits the dies, some areas of the planchet can receive more or less pressure/stress.
The power the striker/hammerer hits the dies should be varying a little bit, humans can not hit the dies always with exactly the same power at exactly the same position, they are humans and not machines. Sometimes they hit the dies with only low power = soft strike and so low metal flow.

The metal flow gives the coins life (lustre) and is a proove that they are actually struck.

This thread is about Imho wrongly condemned Solidi of Constantine.
I can not explain such comlicated thing like metal flow or flow lines this is why I referred to B. P. Murphy´s definition of low lines.
It seems like many Experts do refuse to write in my thread but it seems like they do not understand that their posting could be very educational and interesting for other users here, too.
So I would very much appreciate a better differentiation between flow lines and metall flow than mine, I only try it because sadly no one else is doing it but others could do it much better.
I DO NOT BITE !!!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Flow lines are small die breaks caused by metal flow where high relief meets low relief. (flow lines are small breaks in the die)

Flow marks are radiating lines, frozen evidence of the stresses which the coin was subjected to when it was struck. (not in the dies)

With all due respect, flow lines are not cracks in the face of the die.  Flow lines are visible signs of the flow of metal away from the center of the planchet under the immense pressures of striking.  They often occur on dies after significant use as the die surfaces tend to wear and allow for minuscule additional space (thousandths of an inch at most) between the two die surfaces at their closest point of the striking process.  This minuscule additional space allow the metal to flow more freely and leave these telltale signs.

The definition of "flow marks" seems to express this explanation, so I suspect that the two terms are identical and are often used interchangeably.

A die crack is a completely separate phenomenon of the minting process.

Both flow lines/marks and die cracks are as old as the coining process itself.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Correct. Flow lines are erosion. A crack is not erosion.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity