Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID conformation. Imitative of Damascus Dirham ???  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
ID conformation. Imitative of Damascus Dirham ???
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:30:29 pm »
 Bought this coin a few years ago and since then it was in the box . So recently I looked at the coin closely and think that attribution is not right ??? I always have trouble with this type of coins :) Please confirm if this attribution is correct :
Kingdom of JERUSALEM . Imitative of Damascus Dirham of Ayyubid al-Salih Isma'il and the Abbasid Caliph al-Mustansir, 1244 - 1250
2.894g, 22.9mm, Acre(?) mint, 1244 - 1250
obverse : Arabic legends: in center: "al-Malik al-Salih / Imad al-Dunya wa'l-Din / Isma'il b. Abi Bakr", in margins: "In the name of God, struck in Damascus year 641 (or another year)" (or similar, blundered, margins mostly off flan)
reverse : Arabic legends: in center: "al- Imam / Al-Mustansir / billah Abu Ja'far / al-Mansur Amir al-Mu'mininin", in margins: "There is no god but God alone; none is associated with him; Muhammad is the Messenger of God" (or similar, blundered, margins mostly off flan).
Bates Crusader type I, Balog 36 - 37 ; CCS 3
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-120863
Best Regards,
Vlad.

Oleg D

Re: ID conformation. Imitative of Damascus Dirham ???
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:33:40 am »
This is not a coin of Crusader imitations. This is the usual dirham Ayyubid al-Salih Ayyub, mint Dimashq.
Ref. Balog #544, SNAT Damaskus #788-790

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 02:58:46 pm »
Thank you, Oleg! This is the second time that you helped me with the correct attribution of this type of coin  +++
Regards ,
Vlad.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 07:48:37 pm »
The coin is ex Alex Malloy and he identified it as a crusader imitation.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Oleg D

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »
Dear Joe Sermarini.
Perhaps you are confusing something, but this coin is not a coin of the Crusaders.
If you can read in Arabic show me where it is written on the coin : "Isma'il b. Abi Bakr".
This is a completely different type of coin.

Here, a similar coin is also sold by imitation of the Crusaders, but this is not so. This is either a vendor error or a commercial reception.
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/sphinx_numismatics/151/product/182ff8_crusader_imitation_of_the_ayyubid_alsaleh_ismail_635__637643_ah_1237__12391245_ad_ar_dirham__dimashq_dm_normally_with_hijri_date_but_missing_album_type__8491_i/265250/Default.aspx

In the base of Zeno coins of this type are here https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=4867

Oleg D

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:35:25 pm »
On the site of Zeno, my nickname is Newcoins and I'm moderator of Ayyubid coins and Crusaders Imitations of the Ayyubid coins.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:14 pm »
I am not saying you are wrong.  I am only saying EXACTLY this... "The coin is ex Alex Malloy and he identified it as a crusader imitation."
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Oleg D

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 01:20:22 pm »
Description of the coin is incorrect. This is not a type of Malloy Crusaders 3
The last line of the obverse is - Ayub b. Muhammad

Someday everyone can make mistakes.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 03:30:42 pm »

The last line of the obverse is - Ayub b. Muhammad

Someday everyone can make mistakes.

Which is NOT clear to read ( if not impossible ) even for Arabic readers , but you figured the coin out from the first word of second line نجم which is part of the nick name of the ruler   نجم الدين Najem al- Din , plus your experience. Good job.
However, Joe is telling you what Malloy said about the coin, not what Joe Sermarini said.
Also , I would not call Malloy ‘s job , a mistake . I would call it an error, the man was trying in language not his first, yet Islamic coins are hard to read specially in Bronze . If you miss one letter , the whole word can be different , I am sure you know that.

Welcome to FORVM , Oleg.
Sam Mansourati

All coins are guaranteed for eternity