Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My very first Nero/Poppaea coin.  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
My very first Nero/Poppaea coin.
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »
Hello coin friends.  :)

Well my birthday was in juli, but i had to wait for august, to get this one from our Free Auctions. (Thank you Mr. President J) Hehe i always wanted to use that line.
and of course Johnny S for departing with this lovely coin.  +++
Getting a coin with Poppaea, was on my to get list for a while. Ever since i saw Patricia Laffan (1919–2014) in "Quo Vadis" where she portrayed Poppaea opposite the great Peter Ustinov (1921–2004) as good old Nero. If you would like more about Poppaea Sabina as her full name was, have a read here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppaea_Sabina

My coin: (And i love it)  ;D

GALATIA. Koinon. Nero with Poppaea (54-68). Ae.
Obv: NEPΩNOΣ ΣEBAΣTOY.
Laureate head of Nero right.
Rev: ΠOΠΠAIAΣ ΣEBAΣTHΣ.
Draped bust of Poppaea right.
RPC I 3562.
Weight: 14.02
Diameter: 28 mm

Well i hope you like it, cheers Kim B.N

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: My very first Nero/Poppaea coin.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:10:15 am »
Excellent double portrait!

Alberto

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:07:20 pm »

A great addition Kim B. N! I would love a nice Poppaea like your example. Poppaea married her way to the top and that has given her some criticism both in the ancient past and today. Nero supposedly killed her by kicking her while she was pregnant but somehow, bad as Nero certainly was, I suspect it was probably complications around childbirth that ended her life as it did for so many women before the modern age.

Best Regards
Steve

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:35:32 am »
Nice

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:15:27 pm »
That is very nice! The great accuracy of the portrait of Nero makes me think the Poppaea portrait is likely to be accurate as well. One of the nicer Poppaea portraits that I have seen!  +++

Dave

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:31 pm »
Sweet addition ... congrats on adding that beauty to your collection

Sadly, I don't have a Poppaea example (*sigh*)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity