Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitation of Manuel I SBCV-1980?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Imitation of Manuel I SBCV-1980?
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:22:22 am »
Does anyone have a recollection of an imitation of Manuel I Comnenus SBCV- 1980?

Imitated coinage of tetartera tends to limited to the more simplistic in style images such as Manuel I SBCV-1979 and SBCV-1979 and Alexius SBCV-1931 and SBCV-1932 .

This coin has an added complexity to it because of mismatched dies, obv at 14mm and rev at 11mm and although worn on both sides more detail is apparent in the obv. More than I would expect on an imitation. The rev is so small very little detail seems to have been included in the original die. The weight is normal at 2gm, most imitations tend to be lightweight, but not all.  The coin size is 17.55mm

This coin is an oxymoron, on one side it could pass for the legit issue and on the other as an imitation. Could the coin be mismatched dies on a legitimate issue? The coins in the rulers following Andronicus and Isaac II had three sized dies 12,15,17mm (The 12 and the 15mm are confused as one coin in all the catalogs.) Could the same be true for Manuel? If so, why is the smallest coin not ever noted? I personally have not seen a small die Manuel but until I thought about this coin I was not looking for one.

Right now, I must look at this as an uncommon imitation, poorly crafted. Unless anyone who has any additional information or evidence to prove a smaller version of SBCV 1980 existed or if I incorrectly attributed the coin.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity