Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Laureate, Radiate, or Both?  (Read 545 times)

Offline Ken Dorney

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coins & Antiquities
Laureate, Radiate, or Both?
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »
I have never paid much attention to the topic, but I am trying to ensure proper referencing of this Marcus Aurelius.  Specifically, to the obverse type.  There are catalogued two specific types, radiate and laureate.  But in at least a couple examples (as in mine and one other) it appears to be both.  Clearly there are laurels, but it almost looks like a bit of a radiate crown, or is it just a frame for the laurels?  I would love to hear any ideas.  I dont know how to insert text between photos, so hopefully I can explain it.

First photo, my coin.

Second photo, from RPC Online, but not mentioning AI in reverse below S C.  http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7069/

Third coin, from Peus, attributing to Waage 514, but only mentioning the obverse as 'head'.  So, does anyone know how to describe the head adornment, and is it published or not?  As far as I can tell there is just the Peus example and mine.

Ken
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him".  Dr. Jeckyll
http://www.coolcoins.com

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Laureate, Radiate, or Both?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:48:22 pm »
I think the first and third coins are laureate, since the rays of a radiate crown should always extend into the air above the emperor's head, as on the second coin.

Presumably what you interpret as shortened rays on the first and third coin are in fact cords tying the laurel wreath together and thereby separating each pair of leaves from the next.

McAlee p. 243, 596(b) also illustrates the same Peus coin that is your third coin above. He calls the portrait laureate, without commenting on the apparent ties that separate each leaf pair from the preceding and following pairs.

Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity