Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Ruins Discovered near Vienne, France  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Roman Ruins Discovered near Vienne, France
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:25:14 pm »
Hi folks,

I don't think anyone here in Forum has posted this yet. I came across it while looking at AOL news tonight.

Ancient Roman ruins have been discovered in southern France, near Vienne. They are remarkably well preserved due to ancient fires.

Here is a link:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08/04/archaeologists-discover-a-little-pompeii-in-southern-france/23065392/

I have a large AE coin issued by Octavian (Augustus) in circa 36 BC that was minted in Gaul, Vienne.

Here is a link (scroll down, last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_gaul.htm

Meepzorp

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
Re: Roman Ruins Discovered near Vienne, France
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:40:46 am »
That geometrical mosaic is really remarkable. Its a series of optical illusions with shapes that appear to change orientation and direction as you look at them, and rings that go over and under each other in an impossible way. M. C. Escher would have been fascinated by this-Jim A

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:47:55 am »
Very neat

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:36:09 pm »
Can't tell from the photos if the find is on the grounds of the Roman museum in Vienne or somewhere nearby.  I went there a couple of years ago at the same time I visited nearby Lyons / Lugdunum, which is about 20km further north.

The Vienne site is neat.  It has a fair sized museum which is built about 3m high on stilts over parts of the site that are stil not fully excavated.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 03:49:20 am »
The new finds have been made in Sainte-Colombe which is just south of Saint-Romain-en-Gal where the impressing museum is situated. Both municipalities are on the other side of the Rhône from Vienne itself.
The findspot is the large green area in the middle, to the lower left of the bridge:
https://www.google.de/maps/@45.5245896,4.8651609,773m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

(I hope the link works as I think).

Regards

Altamura

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »
Thanks.  Now I can picture where it is.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity