Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: roman scarab ?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline rami1785

• Consul
roman scarab ?
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:04:03 am »
can you guys identify
Roman scarab ?
type of the stone , gemstone ?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: roman scarab ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:14:55 am »
Etruscan, gobular style.  About fifth-fourth century B.C., of I remember correctly.  I have not studied Etruscan gems for many years.

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:01 am »
Hi Rami,

Just an observation... I also associated the globolo style with the Etruscans but it existed long before the Etuscans and elsewhere. From your photos, the scarab seems to be carved from a dark opaque stone. If the color of the stone is black or silvery, it could be hematite; if it is brown (the color of milk chocolate), it may be a variety of hematite called goethite.

Your scarab does not look Etruscan, at least not to me. There is a class of scarab/seal, originating (?) in northern Syria, Circa 1000 BC, that is closer to yours. See: Keel-Leu, H. Vorderasiatische Stempelsiegel, Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis 110, Freiburg/Gottingen, 1991: Nos. 65 and 66.

Russ

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:40 am »
Russ,

Could well be.  The scarab, now that you point it out, does look Syrian, but the cow and calf type seems more Etruscan to me.  Interesting point.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:27:52 am »
Very cool scarab ... congrats on scoring that neat animal-type (it's a total winner)

The two that I have are not carved from the same material as your new addition, so posting my examples would be of little help.

... congrats again (very neat item to possess)

+++

Offline rami1785

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:26:56 pm »
thank you guys gd job

All coins are guaranteed for eternity