Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any ideas what this is?  (Read 821 times)

Pendrakon

Any ideas what this is?
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »
Hi Guys-
Any idea what this might be? Found in a Roman lot complete with a desert patina. It is 13mm wide and 6mmx8mm thick. It weighs 8.2 grams. Thanks-  :o

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Any ideas what this is?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:21:33 am »
It is from India / South Asia.  It appears to be a heavy falus gani or dam coin like those issued  by the Mughals and the Sultans of Delhi  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Pendrakon

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:06 am »
Wow! Not only is it an actual coin it is a DAM coin! Thanks. Never would have realized it was a coin. Thanks again-  :laugh:

a

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:02 am »

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:25:34 am »
You are right Explorer.  Is it a coin of Ahmad !? Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

a

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:22:13 am »
The state is not so good and I can't nail on specific ruler. Most probably, the mint is Mist (Egypt).

Regards,
Explorer

Pendrakon

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:24:37 am »
Hey guys- for what it is worth- I found another one yesterday in the same lot. It is thinner, looks more like a coin, and has better detail on one side. 16mm and 5.9 grams. here are the pics-

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:29:24 am »
I have a similar coin. I found only this on the web about it:
"These coins are quite unusual. Minted by the Mamluks of
Egypt around in the 14th century they are extremely thick.
The only other coins of equal thickness are some of the
ancient Greek and Ptolemaic Egyptian. The reverse can
contain Islamic script but can also be blank. The obverse
bears a distinct rosette. These coins puzzled researchers for
years and are nice examples of the type."

if you google "mamluk rosettes" you may find few pics also. The ottoman origin is reasonable also as mine came up in the northern part of the former ottoman empire. (however, the drifting of coins is an ever increasing mystery as my collection grows...)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity