Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal ring help  (Read 1313 times)

Offline rami1785

• Consul
Seal ring help
« on: July 29, 2017, 03:18:57 pm »
could you guys help me with this nice seal ring like age or any information Judea , Roman , Greek and about the stone . :)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Middleton, Sheila H.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:27 am »
Hi Rami,

From your photo, it is impossible to identify the material. The design motif seems to be a standing aged man with a cane with a boy kneeling and facing him. What is under the tree closest to the trunk? Is it a trophy or letters?
     Designs with figures under a tree are rare and most depict Eros and may be described as being of the Imperial Classicizing Style (Roman) of the 1st to 2nd century AD. For intaglios with figures under trees, See:
1.     Middleton, Sheila H. Seals, Finger Rings, Engraved Gems and Amulets in the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter, Exeter, 1998: page 48, Number 38.
2.     Walters, H.B. Catalogue of the Engraved Gems and Cameos, Greek, Etruscan and Roman, in the British Museum, London, 1926: No. 2877, page 278, Plate XXX.
     I hope this helps.

Russ

Offline rami1785

• Consul
Re: Seal ring help
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:51:53 pm »
about the  References that u gave its interesting thank you :)

and its not a letter .

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:08 pm »
Very interesting gem.  Might this be Faustulus? He is the "mythical shepherd that found Romulus and Remus".  See Anit Hamburger, "Gems From Caesarea Maritima" Atiqot English Series, Volume VIII, 1968, Number 141.  If you google "faustulus intaglio" you might find some pictures.  Hamburger mentions that there were many elements to the myth, most of which were not usually engraved on each gem, so there can be many elements which are not included in the designs.

Offline rami1785

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:48:34 pm »
amazing , i love this forum  :)  thank you :) :)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:03:00 am »
I think that Faustulus can only be identified if the figure is accompanied by other elements of the Roman foundation legend, for example the wolf and twins, of which I see no evidence here. It does seem to be a rural scene with farmers or shepherds.
Regards
Gert

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:45:31 pm »
Hi Rami,

Your picture is not very clear but the stone looks dark green, which could be then a jasper.

Iconography : the subject is a typical rustic scene featuring a shepherd (man with rural clothes, holding a stick), a kneeling character at his feet (taking care of a goat?), in front of a rustic shrine (edicula on top of rocks) at the base of a tree. See attached pictures of similar stones featuring shepherds and rustic shrines.

Period : I would say stone and subject make a datation of 2nd or early 3rd century AD likely.

A print using modeling clay (like for children) would make your stone more readable.

Jérôme

All coins are guaranteed for eternity