Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need Patina / Surface Education Anonymous Class C, Class I Folles  (Read 886 times)

Offline James W5

• Legionary
I am new and have acquired only a few coins.  I am attracted to these two but I am wondering why their patinas look different from any examples on Forum or on Wildwinds -- these have more colors and the assorted bright copper high spots.  Also the variation in high and low spots in the coins look different to me than other images of the same coins.  Also, and I don't know the technical terms, but especially the Class I looks "bumpy" surfaces compared to the examples on Forum and Wildwinds.

All help and advise to understand these surfaces is appreciated.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Need Patina / Surface Education Anonymous Class C, Class I Folles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:38 am »
The roughness is due to overstrike and corrosion.

Both of these coins appear to be overstruck, which is common in this era. They were struck on older coins. Some of the high and low points on the older coin have come through as overstrike effects.

The reverse of the second coin is porous and lightly pitted.

Some terms above are blue text, click the blue text to learn more or see examples of the types in Forum's shop.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline James W5

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:14:42 am »
Thank you.  I think I understand now about the overstrike.

What are your thoughts on the patina?  There are seeming layers of colors and all the many bare copper looking high spots.  When I compare to the Forum images, I would like to understand if my examples would also be a naturally occurring patina?

I have looked at all the Forum images of these coins and the others look duller overall, even if they have multiple colors.  When there are "bare copper" spots on the Forum images they look fewer, smoother, less bright and on natural wear spots.

I am trying my best to describe what my untrained eye sees.  Any more help on understanding what I see is much appreciated.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »
The patinas look natural and normal. The bare metal high spots are due to cleaning, perhaps in a tumbler.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline James W5

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:26:37 pm »
Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity