Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Request for help with ID  (Read 800 times)

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
Request for help with ID
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:41:07 am »
     This is a rough AE22, 8.5g just obtained in an unidentified lot.  While the obverse is very rough, the reverse is clear and sharply struck.  On the obv. is a youthful (bare?) head l.  No visible legend except it appears to end in 'OC'.  Could be a Severan Prince, Diadumenian, Gordian, etc...The reverse has lots of legend and I first thought this would be easy.  Turreted veiled head of Tyche l.   Starting at 5:00 and going counter clock wise appears to me, in hand ' :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Alpha::GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Tau:-- and then continuing on the other side ?-C :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Omega: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha:   I have been searching Wildwinds and RPC to no avail.  I can find several types  that fit in terms of the figures but nothing that fits the reverse legend.  Any help or direction will be appreciated.  I apologize for the poor scans.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Request for help with ID
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:26:42 am »
I can't read anything, but based on your reading it might be this from Thessalonica with Antonia and Caligula:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3360348

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:41:17 am »
Well, That might be a different route.  Usually when I can't identify something that I suspect will be easy it is because I start out entirely in the wrong direction.  On the reverse, Tyche facing l. is not so common and the lettering facing outward is also not so common.  The obverse head does look Caligulaish.  Going though dozens of Tyche heads on RPC online hasn't helped. Thanks,

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:50:56 am »
If you see a female head and a legend with ΣEBAΣTH, it is probably an empress (some exceptions), and there is only one empress whose name ends on ..TΩNIA.

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:06 pm »
I just now looked at your link.  Yes, that is the coin.  The reverse legend is a match.  Even that almost shapeless 'B'.  Wow, Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity