Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Derbe and the queen's beasts  (Read 536 times)

Offline livingwater

• Praetorian
Derbe and the queen's beasts
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:38:26 pm »
Hello,

Thought I'd share my recent acquisitions.  I just got this very rare Derbe, Lycaonia coin of Lucilla/Nike with shield from Saint Paul Antiques auction, 21mm 6.55g RPC IV online 7241.  There was a bidding war for it.  I won but likely paid several times more than many collectors would have given it's worn condition; with fees $1,061.  It's a Biblical coin I wanted to add to my four other rare Derbe coins.  They are posted on asiaminorcoins.  I think most known Derbe coins are in museums.  Archaeologists started to dig the Derbe site a couple years ago.  Last I heard they had not reached the strata of when coins were minted there, but they may find Derbe struck coins eventually.

I love ancient coins.  I seldom buy moderns.  But the new series of Britain coins celebrating the Queen's heraldry of beasts are really cool. There will be ten different beast types.  Here are the lion and dragon types. They remind me of ancient coins with real and mythical animals.  I apologize for posting modern coins here but they are very well done.  They come in silver 2oz, 10oz and gold 1/4oz and 1oz. This is the first time Britain has issued a ten ounce silver coin.  It is impressive at I think around 89mm!   Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity