Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ivlia Mamea Pvdicitia (standing?)  (Read 660 times)

Offline TomBraider

• Praetorian
Ivlia Mamea Pvdicitia (standing?)
« on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:32 pm »
Hello, i found recently silver coin of Ivlia Mamea, rev. Pvdicitia. All i could find was sitting figure with that reverse. So any help finding something more about it would be appreciated. Weight of the coin is 2.2g

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Ivlia Mamea Pvdicitia (standing?)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »
Likely to be a modern replica, I'm sorry to say. Where did you find it?

The reverse type seems to copy a type of Faustina II, with patera and scepter added, see example below.

Or there are other ways the forger could have come up with this reverse type, the elements of which, pose of figure, attributes, and legend, are all common.
Curtis Clay

Offline TomBraider

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »
I can guarantee originality, as it is personal find from 1meter beneath the ground. Unless if its struck like that back then or some version from their time. It is found in Sirmium

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:24:19 pm »
If it is ancient, it is a contemporary imitation, not a mint product. But it is very likely modern, in my opinion.
Curtis Clay

Offline TomBraider

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »
Thanks for help, i appreciate. As i said if i bought it i would be suspicious, but as personal find i can only believe if it is indeed some imitation, that it dates from their time, since i dont see any logical explanation. (was found in the ground that is dug from 1m+ on the bottom) also i found few bronze coins along that are original. I am saying that only to exclude possibility that it is modern, and narrow the explanation possibilities, since i am searching coins for more then 20 years, and i could be sure that ground where it was found dates from their period.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 02:42:59 pm »
If the coin is really now seeing the light of day for the first time since antiquity, then of course it must be ancient. I don't find such a coin in Forvm's Fake Reports, in any case.

However, it is not unusual for modern replicas to be thrown away or planted on archaeological sites.

Curtis Clay

Offline TomBraider

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:02:54 pm »
If the coin is really now seeing the light of day for the first time since antiquity, then of course it must be ancient. I don't find such a coin in Forvm's Fake Reports, in any case.

However, it is not unusual for modern replicas to be thrown away or planted on archaeological sites.

I agree that these things can happen as it can be one of logical explanations. But i would really like to exclude that possibility as much as possible, since i was only one on the dig site (bulldozer dug a hole beneath the pavemant that is 1m+ because underpass is being built) I rarely post here on forum, unless it is something that i am unsure about like this. Also thank you a lot for help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity