Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ring Light Recommendations  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ring Light Recommendations
« on: July 23, 2017, 09:21:41 pm »
I have never used a ring light but would like to get one and try it.  Any brand/model recommendations? 

I use a Nikon 5300 with a Nikon AF-S FX Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED Fixed Zoom Lens.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
Re: Ring Light Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:08:27 am »
Hi Joe,
As the least experienced member of the forum, let me be the first to respond to your post.
I purchased a Neewer FC100 32 Super Bright LED Macro Ring Flash for $19.99. I don't use it as a flash, but instead just leave it on. There is no AC adapter, so I opened it up and wired up a universal adapter from the local electronics store. It will eat batteries in a hurry, so if you're not handy with wiring, you should skip this model. How is the color balance? you might ask. I don't know. My camera has an automatic color balance setting, which I have set for this light. When I decided I needed a side light I bought another one of these so that the color balance would be consistent.
Regards,
EB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:43:34 am »
Thanks. It certainly is reasonably priced but I think it is not for me.  I would prefer a model with an AC adapter and good sunlight color balance.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:26 am »
A problem with so many Chinese photo accessories is that the available brands change frequently so buying a match for one you like is not always easy.  I use something very much like this but mine is black.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-56-LED-Adjustable-Ring-Light-Illuminator-Lamp-For-STEREO-Microscope/362023244228?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D5362bc50534b4869b59ec8a469b621e1%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131604115727

These are intended to be used on a stereo microscope but mine fits my Canon 100mm macro lens with a couple mm's to spare.  I know nothing about Nikons.  The specs say it would fit a lens with no larger than 58mm front.  You must have the adjustable brightness feature since you will be using it at a fraction of full power most of the time because you are working so close.  Mine has a separate AC adapter but this one seems to have a plug built in.  Some are a bit bluer than daylight up to 6500 degrees K but I prefer 5500 K units that match my panel lights.  I may be just a bit on the picky side.  I'd hate to suggest wasting $15.46 but that is what I see here.  Other models can be found by searching on terms microscope LED ring.  Some costing closer to $25 have 144 LED's rather than 56 but are smaller diameter so you need to read the specs to find one that will fit your lens.  One advantage of the type with separate AC adapters is you can use a US one or foreign model on the same unit so it is easier to find a match.  You could ask before buying if this is usable on US AC current.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:22:13 am »
Thanks. I will have to measure the diameter of my lens.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:27:08 am »
Hi Joe,

This is mine, 60 mm a (inside) diameter, it has up and down to change the intensity, and 5 different mode tu use the light source up or down or left and right and all ring light ...

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity