Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Horse and Rider  (Read 1315 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Horse and Rider
« on: July 22, 2017, 03:12:28 am »
Hi, all.  Here is an interesting lead figure of a horse and rider from Caesarea Maritima.  Any ideas on the use of such an object, and the possible figure represented, would be greatly appreciated.  

BCC L21
Lead Insignia?
Greco-Roman Eastern
Horse and Rider
Reverse: Blank

5.5cm x 5.0cm. x 0.9cm.
38.52gm.

click pic for higher resolution

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Lead Horse and Rider
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:53:20 am »
I have not seen this type before.  There are several standard types from the Balkans - three fates/goddesses, a temple - but I don't recall ever seeing a horse and rider.

Is it even Roman era?  Could it be some form of medieval pilgrim's item?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:42:37 pm »
Hi Shawn.  Coming from Caesarea it could be anything, even modern, but to me the overall feel and patina are very similar to the Roman leads we found.  I will be posting some others soon, and I look forward to your thoughts.

Best Regards, Jimi

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:07:39 pm »
Hi, all.  I have been looking again at this artifact and planning to post it in my gallery.  I was wondering if this could be Epona, a Celtic goddess that was adopted by the Roman military in the 2nd century, and venerated throughout the Empire.  Any new ideas or corrections would be welcome.  Thanks, Jimi

BCC L21
Cast Lead Horse and Rider
Greco-Roman? Eastern
1st-3rd Century CE?
Solid cast lead horse and rider intended
as an insignia? or for votive use?  Unidentified,
possibly female figure (perhaps Epona?) with
missing head, apparently riding bareback with
no saddle or reins. The front leg is bent and
twisted, and probably extended forward in
a running position.
Reverse: Blank