Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Low weight semis ?  (Read 938 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Low weight semis ?
« on: July 13, 2017, 04:58:31 pm »
Hello ! Please help me with this coin. I understand it's a semis, because of Saturn's bust . But the weight is ~5.5 gr which is much less then it is indicated in catalogs (up to 20 gr). May it be late or imitative ?

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Low weight semis ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:01:37 am »
The style may suggest a provenance from the Iberic peninsula, but the weight is quite correct for a first century BC semis, as the weight of the (Janus) as had declined to in between 15 and 10 grammes. That's probably why Augustus in his reform also took  ten grammes for the renewed (Senatorial) as. There probably is a catalogue for the Iberic immitative coins, but I don't have it.

Frans

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:16:25 am »
Thank you Frans !
Where can I read about the weight decline of republican bronze ?

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:47:49 am »
Crawford is the most used source, but extremely expensive and scarce; best to see if you can get it via a library. This is a very nice source, though the emphasis is on the coins and the pictures and less about the background: http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info

Frans

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:36:33 am »
Many thanks !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity