Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A New Coin of Alexander Jannaeus  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
A New Coin of Alexander Jannaeus
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:58:06 pm »
I just noticed a new coin of Jannaeus listed on the Menorah Coin Project: http://menorahcoinproject.org/jns-03.htm

Some observations:

The anchor has thin arms that do not change thickness. Though this is not usual on Jannaeus' anchor-star coinages, it is occasionally seen, especially on the King-Priest coins.

There is an appendage on the bottom left and top right of the anchor. I do not recall seeing anything like this on other anchors on Judaean coinage. I am not sure what they are, but perhaps someone who is familiar with ancient anchors could identify them.

The unlisted coin is similar to the lead coins of Jannaeus, but with some features moved around the coin; both coin types have anchors and diadems, text in a circle around the anchor and text in many lines on the other side. This might be coincidence, however, since the all the main symbols and inscriptions on this new coin appear on other coins of Jannaeus too.

This coin demonstrates that the order of the Greek form of "of King Alexander" is BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY like on coins of Antigonus.

Unlike other inscriptions on Jannaeus' coins, the alphas are written with a bent crossbar :A3:. This alpha style is seen on coins of Hyrcanus I and Antigonus, however.

Jannaeus' name is written in the full spelling יהו[נתן]. Most coin types of Jannaeus are like this, except for some wreath-cornucopia types that have his name as ינתן.

The flan is bevelled. Therefore, it seems likely that the coin was struck in Jerusalem.

At 4.00 g, J.-P. is probably right to call this coin a double-prutah.

I hope to see the coin published soon. What do you guys think of this coin?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

a

Re: A New Coin of Alexander Jannaeus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:23:08 am »
Looks to me like fake performed on ancient flan. I based on signs you mentioned, general state and border of dots performance. Even on barbaric specimens of this period dots on the boarder performed better: well separated and even. Comparing to "perfect" performance of other details, this looks strange.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
Re: A New Coin of Alexander Jannaeus
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:45:35 am »
I second Explorer's opinion.
Illegitimi non carborundum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity