Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Round Lead Weight with Designs  (Read 3622 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Round Lead Weight with Designs
« on: July 10, 2017, 05:07:58 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a large lead weight, 90.75 grams, from Caesarea Maritima. I think the weight is within range for the variations in the Roman Libra, so perhaps it is a 3 oungia piece, with the designs representing 1/4 of a pound?  I am not familiar with the terminology used to describe these designs.  Any ideas or corrections to my description would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome.

BCC LW13
Lead Weight - Uncertain weight standard, 3 uncias?
Weight: 90.75 grams
Roman Imperial-Early Byzantine? (Hellenistic possible)
Raised edge on the obverse and slightly beveled edges

Obv: Four leaf clover? quartrefoil? design
with central raised pellet, within circle.

Rev: Quartrefoil design consisting of four petals
interspersed with bifurcated leaves within circle.

55 x 47mm.  
Average thickness: 6mm.

click for larger pic

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Round Lead Weight with Designs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:42:09 pm »
There's no legend, or any ethnic marking that I recognise, so I have to doubt that it's an official scale weight. On the other hand I don't have any better ideas.
If it is a weight then it could be a 1/4 libra on the heavier 360 gm scale which was common enough in Phoenicia in Greco-Roman times.

Ross G.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:57 pm »
Thank you, Ross.  I had been wondering if the design could have any link to Crusader motifs, but I think I agree the Greco-Roman category is much more likely.  My only reference book right now is Lionel Holland's "Weights and Weight-Like Objects from Caesarea Maritima".  He lists several rectangular weights of similar mass that he labeled Greco-Roman, but nothing just like this design.  It seems to be a very complicated topic!

Regards, Jimi

Here are some other weights from Caesarea:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5252

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:32 am »
I think it is a Hellenistic / Roman leadweight to ΒΌ libra heavier standard 2nd cen. C.E. (Qedar) probably manufactured  in Judaea.
Unfortunately the weight is damaged. It is missing a loop or tab, that's why  it seems to be underweight. I do not have an exact
quote, but a rectangular weight with a very similar motif (rosette in circle) can be found at David Hendin, page 200.

Basil

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:48:49 am »
Thanks, Basil.  I will look for Hendin's reference.

Regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity