Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Round Lead Weight with Designs  (Read 3574 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Round Lead Weight with Designs
« on: July 10, 2017, 05:07:58 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a large lead weight, 90.75 grams, from Caesarea Maritima. I think the weight is within range for the variations in the Roman Libra, so perhaps it is a 3 oungia piece, with the designs representing 1/4 of a pound?  I am not familiar with the terminology used to describe these designs.  Any ideas or corrections to my description would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome.

BCC LW13
Lead Weight - Uncertain weight standard, 3 uncias?
Weight: 90.75 grams
Roman Imperial-Early Byzantine? (Hellenistic possible)
Raised edge on the obverse and slightly beveled edges

Obv: Four leaf clover? quartrefoil? design
with central raised pellet, within circle.

Rev: Quartrefoil design consisting of four petals
interspersed with bifurcated leaves within circle.

55 x 47mm.  
Average thickness: 6mm.

click for larger pic

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Round Lead Weight with Designs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:42:09 pm »
There's no legend, or any ethnic marking that I recognise, so I have to doubt that it's an official scale weight. On the other hand I don't have any better ideas.
If it is a weight then it could be a 1/4 libra on the heavier 360 gm scale which was common enough in Phoenicia in Greco-Roman times.

Ross G.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:57 pm »
Thank you, Ross.  I had been wondering if the design could have any link to Crusader motifs, but I think I agree the Greco-Roman category is much more likely.  My only reference book right now is Lionel Holland's "Weights and Weight-Like Objects from Caesarea Maritima".  He lists several rectangular weights of similar mass that he labeled Greco-Roman, but nothing just like this design.  It seems to be a very complicated topic!

Regards, Jimi

Here are some other weights from Caesarea:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5252

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:32 am »
I think it is a Hellenistic / Roman leadweight to ΒΌ libra heavier standard 2nd cen. C.E. (Qedar) probably manufactured  in Judaea.
Unfortunately the weight is damaged. It is missing a loop or tab, that's why  it seems to be underweight. I do not have an exact
quote, but a rectangular weight with a very similar motif (rosette in circle) can be found at David Hendin, page 200.

Basil

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:48:49 am »
Thanks, Basil.  I will look for Hendin's reference.

Regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity