Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: COOL COIN ... AWESOME TUNE  (Read 1390 times)

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
COOL COIN ... AWESOME TUNE
« on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:13 pm »

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: COOL COIN ... AWESOME TUNE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:04:21 pm »
Actually => I do have a few other sweet Bo-coins ... wanna see "em?

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:24:30 pm »
Nice!

Here is mine.

Ruler/Emperor: Struck under the magistrate Kaβi; City/Region: Thebes, Boeotia; Denomination: AR Stater; Composition: Silver;  Date: 368-364 BC; Obverse: Boeotian shield; Reverse: KA-BI (Magistrate's name in abbreviated form), Amphora, the upper part fluted; Size: 21.63g, 11.8g, 2h (die-axis relative to obverse orientation in photo); Grade: VF, nicely toned, attractive lustre, scratches, obverse off centre, some roughness on obverse; Reference: SNG Copenhagen 339; BMC Central Greece 150; Hepworth 61; BCD Boiotia 539; HGC 4 1333; SGCV I 2398 var. (control marks, corn-grain above)

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:37 pm »
Sweet => that's awesome, peterpil

=> I have one of those babies as well (congrats on scoring that cool coin)

Boeotia Rocks!!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 10:56:44 pm »

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 02:00:01 am »
Thanks Steve and David,

As someone with Spartan heritage it feels a little traitorous to be fond of Boeotian coinage!

Peter

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 02:30:17 am »
As someone with Spartan heritage it feels a little traitorous to be fond of Boeotian coinage!

Continuing the Spartan abhorrence of coinage? Ironic isn't it; it was the failure of the Spartans to embrace innovations such as coinage that led to their demise.

The were whipped at Leuctra by an innovation of Epaminondas; the oblique formation.

Theban innovation whipped Spartan stultification.

The Boeotian shield coinage played a big part in the development of an innovative culture in Thebes in the early fourth century BC and thus indirectly the Spartan defeat.

P.S I struggle to make a connection between the tune with its buxom bimbo on a white horse and the Boeotion coin. This 'innovation' is beyond me! Probably its an age and hormone thing that makes for a connection?  Or is it just titillation?  ;D
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:01:44 am »
I think the video Steve posted would make more sense alongside a coin of Caligula!

Whether Spartan, or the Thebes (who themselves were later whipped by King Philip II and Alexander III), the same story is true of many once-great civilisations and in today's age - of many businesses. No one is immune to changing times.

Peter

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 02:04:04 am »
I think the video Steve posted would make more sense alongside a coin of Caligula!

Whether Spartan, or the Thebes (who themselves were later whipped by King Philip II and Alexander III), the same story is true of many once-great civilisations and in today's age - of many businesses. No one is immune to changing times.

Phillip II learned much from the the three years he spent as a hostage in Thebes during which time he was tutored by the military and political genius Epaminondas. In fact, it is an arguable case that the subsequent Macedonian ascendancy and hegemony over Greece and the east was due to the lessons he learned from Epaminondas, a point often overlooked by historians. Theban innovation in the early fourth century laid the foundation of the subsequent Hellenistic world. However, like much experience in the modern world, it is not necessarily the case that the first mover that reaps the rewards of innovation!
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 05:23:07 am »
However, like much experience in the modern world, it is not necessarily the case that the first mover that reaps the rewards of innovation!

Very wise words!

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity