Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina ,Pautalia - Hygieia - ref required .  (Read 785 times)

Bobby M

Faustina ,Pautalia - Hygieia - ref required .
« on: July 09, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »
Hello Everyone.
Could someone please help with the reference for this issue of Faustina from Pautalia .
I see two different types listed in Moushmov,which of the two is this .?
Thanks in advance guys ..

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Faustina, Pautalia - Hygieia - ref required
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »
Probably Ruzicka 127, citing a specimen in Sofia.

Don't bother with Mouchmov's Balkan Peninsula book, which is far too generalized and unspecific to be useful.

In this particular case, your coin would be Mouchmov 4117 if Salus is holding a rod in her right hand, Mouchmov 4116 if there is no rod in that hand. But I am not sure that such a rod is ever shown. Ruzicka, compiling a vastly more detailed and specific catalogue of the coins of just Pautalia, and writing after Mouchmov so aware of his alleged rod, described three varieties of this type, all without the supposed rod.
Curtis Clay

Bobby M

Re: Faustina ,Pautalia - Hygieia - ref required .
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:46:46 pm »
Thank you very much Curtis .I found 6 examples online today on various sites and none of them show a rod ( to my eyes ) ..I understand that Moushmov is very generalized ,but ,to a relative newcomer like myself to the world of Provincials ,i must say i have found the online Moushmov link very useful for identifying reverse types etc ..  I learned a hell of a lot from reading the reverse descriptions .. ;D
Like i say , a newcomer needs all the  help he can get .
 :)
 Thanks so much for taking the time to reply ,it`s greatly appreciated . +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity