Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Regarding BnF Catalogue général  (Read 1411 times)

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Regarding BnF Catalogue général
« on: July 04, 2017, 01:42:04 pm »
Does somebody really know how to use BnF's Catalogue general to search for information on ancient coins ?

My French isn't anylonger too good, I've forgotten over the years. The URL is http://catalogue.bnf.fr/index.do and I figured out that for example the search for Monnaie:Caracalla, Cilicie, Tarse produces a listing of coins of Caracalla from Tarsos, Cilicia. All is good so far, but when I click on one of the found coins, all I get is a picture of the obverse, there is no picture of the reverse. Of course there is the entry for the coin in SNG France, but it is somewhat difficult to attribute a coin with only the obverse ;)

Any suggestions or is the case that BnF's site is 'somewhat' dysfunctional ?

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Regarding BnF Catalogue général
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:55:20 pm »
I did find out that changing the format of the search result from public to unimarc gives alisting where you find a link towards the end, http://gallica.bnf.fr/...

Clicking on that link opens a page with both obverse and reverse. On this page you can search for coins and get both reverse and obverse, for example the serach Caracalla, Cilicie, Tarse 
You can go straight to http://gallica.bnf.fr and do your search, too. But then you have to jump back to catalog.bnf.fr to find the reference to SNG France.

There must be an easier way or have the webdesigners in France been tasting too much wine ???

Clueless

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:24:04 pm »
If you use Chrome the browser can translate into English.  It helped me.

If you want to search for coins go into Advanced Search and select By Document Type -> Monetiform object.

If anyone has better tips to get the other side photo let me know!  The method above is currently not working "due to capacity problems".

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:25:57 pm »
I've never had problems searching with basic French descriptions, e.g. "Monnaies Campanie" and always get results that, when clicked, feature both obverse and reverse.  I always use Chrome.

I also downloaded the app which I highly recommend, at least for iPhone.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:37:41 pm »
.... There must be an easier way or have the webdesigners in France been tasting too much wine ???

Gallicia ... I find it the antithesis of intuitive and user friendly. But then I am reminded that this is from the country that brought the Citroën D to the world, seemingly built from the roof down, rather than the wheels up!
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:02:30 am »
Hi Clueless,

Searching the archives of BNF seems to be working fine for me also.

Use my link to Arados and change to Tarse.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/search/sru?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.2&query=(gallica%20all%20%22ARADOS%22)#

Could be a lack of communication between BNF staff due to garlic breath.  ::)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »
When doing a normal search, I click on Auteur on the left and select the emperor or the name of the mint.
I then see a list of coins showing just the obverse. Click on that obverse and I see the obverse AND the reverse.
However, in the left hand field, you do not see the legends etc, but you do see the weight and the Paris collection number (as "Fonds Général..")

All coins are guaranteed for eternity