Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished Hierocaesarea type?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
Unpublished Hierocaesarea type?
« on: July 04, 2017, 12:10:06 pm »
Put simply, I can't find the same reverse legend, or anything approaching it, on any AE from Hierocaesarea. This type is very similar in obverse type and legend and in reverse type, to https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129257 . However the reverse legend is quite different. Münsterberg mentions for Hierocaesarea: Tyche ἐπ ἀρχ Στεφανηφόρου Welzl n. 6264. (see snippet), howεver the legend on mine clearly begins 'ΕΠΙCΤΕΦ..'. Unfortunately the second half of the legend is less than clear. With a wide margin for error, I might hazard a guess that it read something like 'ΕΠΙ CTEΦ[Α-ΝΟC ΙEΡΟΚ?]'

Hierocaesarea, LYDIA. AE 21mm, 5.17g, 1800
Obv. IEPOKA-ICAPEΩΝ. Turreted, diademed, draped bust of Tyche, right.
Rev. ΕΠΙ CTEΦ... Artemis standing right, holding bow and drawing arrow from quiver on back.
Ref. ?

Comment has been made on the nature of the hairline of Tyche, beneath the turreted crown, being quite different to the usual too. I'm less certain that the six high points of wear represent an actual difference, rather than just an oddity of wear and sand patina though.

Any help on a proper identification would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Derek.

Offline Jerome M

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
Re: Unpublished Hierocaesarea type?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:47:12 pm »
I can read ΕΠΙ CΤΕΦΑ-ΝΟΥ CΤΡ ΤΟ Β (under Stephanos, strategos for the second time).
You don't need the ethnicon on the reverse because it is on the obverse (IEPOKA-ICAPEΩΝ).
Apparently unpublished.

Best,

Jerome

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:42 pm »
Ah yes! That makes good sense of it. I'm very grateful for your help here Jerome. Very appreciative of your work over at RPC too.

Many thanks.
Derek.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:22:13 pm »
This appears to be the same as the one which Mehmet Önder published in his work on Lydian coins in Manisa (Magnesia) Museum as
Manisa Museum 14786.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity