Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Variant of Maximinus II follis  (Read 944 times)

Wojciech U

Variant of Maximinus II follis
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:23:07 am »
I have this big and heavy Maximinus II Daia follis. Looking for some experienced collector of this emperor.

It's:

Obverse: GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAES
Reverse: GENIO CAESARIS star - Genio standing with cornucopia and patera by the altar

ANT, Antioch mint, with S in field.

I can't find this particular variant anywhere. I managed to find some with altar by Genio and star in inscriptions, but not a single one with S (second workshop) in field.

Help on finding this particular variant would be appreciated :-)

Cheers,
Wojtek

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Variant of Maximinus II follis
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:42 am »

Your coin is similar to NotInRIC Antioch 87b for Constantine:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/6ant87bv.html

So your coin is mintmark variety of RIC VI Antioch 87a.

ps. S in your coin refers to workshop 6.

Pekka K

Wojciech U

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:27:54 am »
Thanks Pekka!

The one You show, besides different oficina mark, has no altar under Genio's feet.

I found mine on Wildwinds http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/maximinus_II/t.html under RIC VI 146, but with workshop mark E.

Btw - how to You assess rarity for "Not in RIC" coins? Is being "Not in RIC" makes coin rare by default (I don't know how complete RIC is)? Or is it mostly "gut feeling" after checking number of occurences? For this particular coin, I couldn't find even one other, with the same reverse markings.

Wojtek

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:52:32 am »

Indeed, the altar is noted in RIC VI with  :rectangletriangle:

and your coin is RIC VI Antioch 146, with unlisted workshop S.

Pekka K

Wojciech U

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 10:47:33 am »
Once again big thx Pekka. One last question.

From Your experience, does unlisted variant (workshop marking or other small differences) affect price? I'm not asking how much is it worth, but more generally, are small differences like this something that should make a price go up? Or maybe there are so many "unlisted variants" that they're only interesting to specialized collectors and when selling to general population, perceived value is the same as listed variants. I know there's not an easy answer to this, but maybe You can share some thoughts.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:45 pm »
Actually, this coin should be attributed as ANTIOCHIA 118a (officina S listed).

It is not ANTIOCHIA 146 which has crescent above altar. There is an error in RIC and this crescent is omitted in pattern on p. 638. The correct pattern can be found on p. 609.

Another example sold on Jesús Vico auction in June 2017 for EUR 31. Ex Dattari.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »
From Your experience, does unlisted variant (workshop marking or other small differences) affect price? [...] Or maybe there are so many "unlisted variants" that they're only interesting to specialized collectors and when selling to general population, perceived value is the same as listed variants. [...]

It may affect price in at least one scenario: if the specialized collectors whom you mention get into a bidding war with each other because they absolutely must have that "unlisted" officina.

However, going crazy with coins that are not listed in RIC is not altogether wise. Some of them are not even at all rare, or have been published elsewhere, since RIC. It is indeed context sensitive, and the answers may be different depending on: which emperor, which mint, which year?

Czołem,

G/<

Wojciech U

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:40 pm »
Thanks again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity