Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antony OTD  (Read 1549 times)

Offline traveler

• Consul
Antony OTD
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:12 am »
Hello all,

A strange Antony denarius to share today. Crawford 536/3, CRI 272; RSC 18b; Sydenham 1204. Struck at a military mint travelling with Antony in northern Syria, 39-38 BCE, weight 3.23g, diameter 21mm, die axis 5h. The obverse was probably struck from a pretty worn die, while the reverse is in much sharper condition. It's usually the reverse for Roman denarii.

The fields are darkly toned which makes it a very photogenic coin.

Antony's third Imperatorial acclamation takes credit for the victories of Publius Ventidius Bassus (his lieutenant) over the Parthians with eleven legions. Antony was distracted by other matters and sent Ventidius on his behalf to delay a Parthian invasion of Syria. However Ventidius did much more than that, winning three decisive engagements. The first was against Quintus Labienus (a former colleague of Brutus and Cassius) who was defeated, captured and executed at the Cilician Gates. The second was at Amanus Pass where he forced the Parthians to withdraw from Syria in 39 BCE. The Parthians reinvaded Syria in 38 BCE led by Pacorus I but Ventidius defeated and killed him at Mt. Gindarus.

Ventidius did not pursue the Parthians further after this third victory as he did not wish to tempt Antony's jealousy. He was pensioned off to Rome and granted a triumph for his Parthian victories, a stunning turnaround as in his youth he was marched through Rome as a prisoner in Pompey Strabo's triumph.

Sear notes that the prow is unusual since there was no significant use of naval power in the Parthian campaign.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Antony OTD
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:19:39 am »
A wonderful coin traveller, with loads of interesting detail.

In Seaby’s Roman Silver Coins Volume 1, the author states that the arms shown on the reverse are Celtiberian. This to me this is a mystery equal to the addition of a warships prow complete with ram, when naval power as you mention took little part in the Roman victory.

Perhaps the trophy represents a greater strategic victory rather than the immediate tactical one. In the earlier Parthian invasion of 42 BC the Phoenician coast was captured by Pacorus I. As you mention he was consequently forced to withdraw, so the second invasion of 38 BC must have included plans to reoccupy the Phoenician coast and the port cities of Byblos, Sidon and Tyre. Control of these cities was vital if Antony’s navy was to operate in the Aegean Sea. That could be the reason for the warship on the reverse.

As for the shield the pattern on it looks more Macedonian to me. It has the double loop pattern running around the edge with a pellet inside the inner loop that is found on representations of many Macedonian shields on other ancient coins. The WildWinds site has a large number-

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/macedonia/kings/anonymous/i.html

I took the liberty of enlarging the image of the shield on your coin and enhancing the contrast to bring out the detail, and then copied and pasted a couple of other coins featuring Macedonian shields for comparison.

Best regards,
Steve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:40:17 am »
What a fantastic historical coin, especially for an Antony fan like me...very jealous!

I wonder if the prow is somehow connected with the rostra in Rome.  Perhaps reminding citizens that although Antony was in the East he was still very much a Roman and kept to Republican traditions.  We see this used on other coins of Antony from the time such as Crawford 533/2 wit his title as Augur prominently displayed.  Here's mine with a write up from Sear''s Imperator''s book.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-112078

In any case a really great piece, congrats!

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 10:41:29 pm »
Hi both,

Thanks for the kind words. It certainly looks like a Macedonian shield.. but is a Macedonian shield of any special significance? What's more there's a figure of eight shield on the trophy too.

Sear suggests the ship prow and figure of eight shield is evoking Brutus's denarii, but I find that a bit of a stretch.

It's a pity that so much of the symbolic meaning of these denarii are lost to us. I imagine they must have been every obvious to the ancients.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 02:00:23 am »
Great coin ..

Congratulation

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »