Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II AE Horseman - to clean or not to clean?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Philip II AE Horseman - to clean or not to clean?
« on: June 26, 2017, 06:40:24 am »
Hi All,

I am seeking your opinions on whether I should clean the dirt from this coin or leave it alone.

The dirt can come off readily I think. If the coin was in a higher grade then that would be incentive to uncover the additional detail. As it is, I am inclined to leave it and I think it nicely highlights the features on the coin in a similar way that sandy "patina" would.

Peter

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Philip II AE Horseman - to clean or not to clean?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:44:04 am »
Dear Peter,

I would leave it, only if there are some details out of sight you could decide to clean it a bit more

best

eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:16:54 am »
Someone with considerable cleaning expertise, understanding exactly how to optimize the appearance of this coin, decided to leave it just like this. I am very confident any cleaning you do will detract, not improve, the appearance of this coin. Although I don't see any reason to believe the dirt was actually added to improve the appearance, it would not surprise me.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:21:38 am »
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It would be disappointing if someone intentionally stuck dirt on the coin after cleaning it to try and improve it somehow. I am aware that this happens routinely on some coins advertised as having a sandy "patina".

Joe, even though you stated you see no reason to believe that could the case here, is the colour of the dirt a factor which led to your observation? I did think that the colour is lighter than dirt I have typically seen on uncleaned coins. But I bought it cleaned with no idea about its original location so I suppose that location could explain a different dirt colour?

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:23:12 am »
I do not think it is routine to add dirt to coins. It does not bother me, except when it is used to fill and cover pits and flaws (yes, that is done).

I think the color of the earth is typical for many uncleaned coins. The only reason I think it might have been added is, I think it is exactly as it should be for the best possible appearance. Any more or any less, and the coin will be very likely apear less attractive.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:12 am »
Thank you for clarifying.

I was referring to those coins which have fake desert patinas, not suggesting it is common to add dirt back onto coins generally.

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity