Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two "O" Mint Coins of the the Day!  (Read 1276 times)

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Two "O" Mint Coins of the the Day!
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:44:05 pm »
For those who collect Flavian's the mysterious Eastern "O" mint coins are always sought after and prized.  Many have mismatched legends. All the "O" mint coins are rather rare but some come up more often then others.  I have two in my collection both from Domitian.

My latest being this fantastic FIDES PVBL reverse with clasped hands.    I've been watching this one for quite a long time and was finally able to make a deal for it.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137918

and this one mistakenly described as being from the Rome mint.  Interestingly it has titles that are appropriate for Vespasian, not Domitian as Caesar:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136983

Both are in excellent "Eastern" style.  Comments always appreciated.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Two "O" Mint Coins of the the Day!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:48:25 am »
Both coins are extremely interesting Jay but the FIDES PVBL reverse with the hands clasped over a caduceus, with two poppies and two corn ears is a beautifully arresting design.

Poppies were used as offerings to the dead in the Classical world and it seems strange that they appear with ears of grain and the caduceus of Hermes/Mercury. As to the Romans Mercury was a god of abundance, and by extension the grain trade, it seems only natural to see the caduceus with ears of grain. But the poppies are mysterious addition to me. A fine research topic for someone! 

Best regards,
Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:16:35 pm »
For those who collect Flavian's the mysterious Eastern "O" mint coins are always sought after and prized.  Many have mismatched legends. All the "O" mint coins are rather rare but some come up more often then others.  I have two in my collection both from Domitian.

My latest being this fantastic FIDES PVBL reverse with clasped hands.    I've been watching this one for quite a long time and was finally able to make a deal for it.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137918

and this one mistakenly described as being from the Rome mint.  Interestingly it has titles that are appropriate for Vespasian, not Domitian as Caesar:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136983

Both are in excellent "Eastern" style.  Comments always appreciated.

Just wonderful Jay!

The second coin is a good example of the type of mule this mint was so fond of producing. Why that is so I cannot say.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:43:47 pm »
Quote from: gallienus1 on June 27, 2017, 07:48:25 am
Both coins are extremely interesting Jay but the FIDES PVBL reverse with the hands clasped over a caduceus, with two poppies and two corn ears is a beautifully arresting design.

Poppies were used as offerings to the dead in the Classical world and it seems strange that they appear with ears of grain and the caduceus of Hermes/Mercury. As to the Romans Mercury was a god of abundance, and by extension the grain trade, it seems only natural to see the caduceus with ears of grain. But the poppies are mysterious addition to me. A fine research topic for someone! 

Best regards,
Steve

Hermes does have a heritage as guide of the dead who led souls down into the underworld.

c.rhodes

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 06:27:57 am »
Both great coins Jay!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity