Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd Claudius II Gothicus  (Read 496 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Odd Claudius II Gothicus
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:05:19 am »
I do not understand why the crack on the obverse after I of Pivs is only visible on one of these picture but they are all three supposed to be the same coin.
Even if I change contrast and other settings I am not able to see the crack on the other ones.
Let s say it is not visible due to bad illumination on two pictures (I do not think so), there is still the problem that the gilding is different, too.
The gilding is very similar but the example sold 2016 has gilding on areas where no giling is on the other pictures and opposite.
Can camera settings and illumination  dissort pictures that much (I have never seen this before)?
That the coin looks black on 2016 picture and green on 2008 picture is nothing special only different illumination.
That all 3 have different weights is nothing special (to dump to weigh) !

32,29g 11.2004
 32.27g 01.2008
 32.04   01.2016

Your help is appreciated!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Odd Claudius II Gothicus
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:27:40 am »
The crack may only show if the photo was illuminated by a slightly raking light and be invisible under a more direct lighting.  Or the medallion may have been lightly waxed between the photos--that can hide a tiny crack.

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Odd Claudius II Gothicus
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:37:12 am »

Laurel of Claudius and scales of middle Moneta seem to be
somewhat tooled.

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity