Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mule? Fake? Rare? Caracalla/Felicitas Tempor with 2 figures  (Read 976 times)

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
Dear Board,

I just received this coin from a private collector.
I think the obv. legend [MAVR?] ANTONINVS AVG
The reverse could be found under Geta caesar only: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3638716

Otherwise this coin looks original to me, weight 2,8 g, diameter 16x18 mm. What is the opinion of the experts?

Thank you for your time,

Peter

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Mule? Fake? Rare? Caracalla/Felicitas Tempor with 2 figures
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:56:04 pm »
Can you show us a picture?
Curtis Clay

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:59:31 pm »
Yes, the first upload attempt was failed, but now I see the pics too. Thx!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 05:29:09 pm »
Apparently an ancient imitation, combining an obverse die showing young Caracalla Augustus with a reverse type that at Rome was only struck for Geta as Caesar, in his earliest issue with praenomen L. The rather clumsy style, especially of the lettering, shows that these cannot be official dies of the mint of Rome.

You are probably right that the obverse legend of your coin was meant to be

M AVR ANTO - NINVS AVG.

There is no such legend for Caracalla in the standard cataogues, but I have two official denarii with that legend in my own collection, with the reverses FIDES PVBLICA and IVSTITIA. Pictures of both of these coins, and of a duplicate of the FIDES PVBLICA piece, can be seen in the Forvm thread entitled

"Caracalla denarius with M AVR ANTONINVS AVG??"

Curtis Clay

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:02:44 pm »
Hi Pete,

That's an interesting coin! :)

Meepzorp

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 04:00:18 am »
Dear Curtis,

Thank you for the info!
Now I clould make ideas on why any counterfeiters made mule(s) from a rather rare obverse with an also non-frequent reverse...? :-)
Taking into consideration of the size and weight and the heat conductivity of the coin It has considerable silver content also, thus it could not had been a lucrative business...

(Thx Meepzorp!:-)  )

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 07:34:11 am »
Such unofficial mints seem to spring up when there is a local or area shortage of coinage.  They coins may have a decent amount of silver in them, and the prime concern may have been to monetize silver bullion--but somehow I am sure there was a profit involved, though maybe not a great one.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity