Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I ?  (Read 267 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Constantine I ?
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:40 am »
Ok, wrapping up my coin cleaning project with my students.
For this one, my student and I thinks it's

Obverse: Constantine I
Reverse: The victories of our lords and emperors/Two Victories facing holding wreaths

What are your thoughts?

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Constantine I ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 02:01:38 pm »
Quite badly beaten up, this one, but there's a dot in the middle of the reverse. This dot is good thing, because it narrows down options a lot.

In addition, I think I can read TS in the exergue beneath the victories and that means it is possible to identify the coin quite well.

On basis of all that, this is a coin of Constans, the obverse legend should read CONSTANS - PF AVG and be struck at Thessalonika, RIC 101, full mintmark SMTSA or SMTS delta

If I read the TS wrong, then it is still a coin of Constans CONSTAN-S PF AVG due to the trace of obverse legend and in that case it is struck at Siscia, RIC 185, mm .BSIS.

Usually it is difficult to say anything more specific about coins in such condition, but there're some clues on this one.

Clueless

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Re: Constantine I ?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »
Ok, thanks. We really appreciate the help - it's very difficult to identify a coin in  this condition and your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity