Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seeking help with bronze 26-27 mm, Carus/Carinus ?  (Read 461 times)

Tomasz S2

Seeking help with bronze 26-27 mm, Carus/Carinus ?
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:08 pm »
Greetings,

Today I'm comming back with a post according to the rules. ;)

I have a bronze coin, 27-26mm, with hard identification clues. I'm pretty sure that on obvrze above the crest there is "CAE" word with only 3 identificable letters which I think are "CAR" (letter "A" is at 90%, "C" and "R" are a bit of a guess).

Also a clue, I've bought it from a lot with Trajan Decius bronze coin (Viminacium), so maybe they can be from similar times or area.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Tomasz S2

Re: Seeking help with bronze 26-27 mm, Carus/Carinus ?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »
Thank you guys, the figure looks similar to Claudius from other coins and the inscription also resembles CAESAR when it looks closely.

But just to be sure, do you know of any similar possible Emperors that could look alike Claudius from this coin and has CAESAR inscription above head ? I just want to sleep tight and know that this is 100% Claudius from my most beloved "I, Claudius" series. :)

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Seeking help with bronze 26-27 mm, Carus/Carinus ?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:13:12 am »
...do you know of any similar possible Emperors that could look alike Claudius from this coin and has CAESAR inscription above head ?

There is a "family likeness" of the Julio-Claudians, and there are Germanicus and Drusus coins with CAESAR above the head.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1385835

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3469885

But IMHO no reverse like on your coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity